Lawrence G. McMichael
Chairman; Member Senior Leadership Team and Executive Committee
Larry has spent his entire legal career with Dilworth and is recognized as one of the region’s most successful commercial trial attorneys. Through his commercial litigation practice, he regularly represents public and private businesses and their owners, officers and directors in negotiations, mediation and litigation. Larry has extensive trial experience in both federal and state courts and has served as lead counsel in many high profile cases and appeals. He has a particular specialty in reorganizing companies in Chapter 11 and has been engaged to render fiduciary and board advice by many of the city’s largest not-for profit institution’s including:
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- The Philadelphia Orchestra
- The Please Touch Museum
- The Archdiocese of Philadelphia
- North Philadelphia Health System
- Carson Valley Children's Aid
- The National Museum of American Jewish History
Larry is one of only a handful of attorneys in the U.S. to be elected as a Fellow of both the American College of Trial Lawyers and the American College of Bankruptcy.
In addition, he is a frequent lecturer for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, the American Bar Association, Business Law Section, and other organizations. He also has authored papers for presentation at Pennsylvania Bar Institute programs and at the American Bankruptcy Institute.
Larry received his J.D. from Duke University School of Law and his A.B., summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, from Duke University.
- Representation of the Rigas Family as defendants in over 50 securities cases arising from the collapse of Adelphia Communications, the corresponding bankruptcy case of Adelphia Communications and in criminal forfeiture proceedings.
- Representation of Sanjay Kumar, former Chairman and CEO of Computer Associates in connection with the Computer Associates securities litigation and restitution settlement with the government.
- Representation of the Philadelphia Inquirer and Daily News as lead Debtors’ counsel in their bankruptcy proceeding, including the successful argument of the credit bidding issue in the Third Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Representation of the Philadelphia Orchestra as lead debtor’s counsel in its bankruptcy proceeding.
- Representation of John and Timothy Rigas in the defense of a federal criminal tax case, including a successful en banc argument of double jeopardy defenses in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
- Representation of the family of Hassan Nemazee in connection with criminal forfeiture proceedings and of Mr. Nemazee in a successful First Step early release application.
- Representation of the controlling shareholders of Erie Indemnity Company in policy holder derivative claims.
- Representation of a senior official of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia in connection with a grand jury proceeding and criminal investigation.
- Representation of Wordsworth Academy as lead debtor’s counsel in bankruptcy proceedings.
- Representation of The National Museum of American Jewish History as lead debtor’s counsel in bankruptcy proceedings.
- Representation of Chi Fai Wong in a successful compassionate release application.
- Representation of a major regional law firm as lead defense counsel in fiduciary and professional liability litigation.
Professional & Community Activities
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, Member, American College of Bankruptcy
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Member, Union League of Philadelphia
- Member, Supreme Court Historical Society
- Member, Eastern District of Pennsylvania Historical Society
- Member, Philadelphia Bar Association
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, St. Thomas More Society of Philadelphia
Speeches & Presentations
- Speaker, 20th Annual Bankruptcy Institute, Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Institute, Philadelphia, PA, October 29, 2015.
- “Top Commercial Cases of the Year,” American Bankruptcy Institute, Philadelphia, PA, October 30, 2014.
- Non-Profit Insolvency presentation, American College of Trusts and Estates, New Orleans, LA, October 8, 2014.
- Presented “Bankruptcy Appeals: Credit Bidding Under A Plan: RadLax”, American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Las Vegas, NV, March 2012.
- Presented “What’s Hot In Complex Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Practice: Credit Bidding And Strategies Post-In Re Philadelphia Newspapers, LLC”, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Philadelphia, PA, March 2012.
- Presented “Operating The Entity At The Intersection of Bankruptcy And Forfeiture: “Distribution And Priority In The Bankruptcy And Forfeiture Context: Advanced Topics”, American Bar Association, Business Law Section, San Francisco, CA, November 2011.
- Presented “Keep It Interesting: Novel Issues Right Here In Philadelphia In The Inquirer Case”, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, Bankruptcy Conference Fall Program, November 9, 2009.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law category, 2006–2022
- Listed in Lawdragon 500 Leading U.S. Bankruptcy & Restructuring Lawyer, 2020
- Listed in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2004–2020
- Listed in Chambers USA, Lead Attorney in Bankruptcy/Restructuring, “Star Individuals”, 2019
- Named to Philadelphia Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year", Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law category, 2019
Further information on methodologies is available via these links.
- J.D., Duke University School of Law, 1978
- B.A., summa cum laude, Duke University, Phi Beta Kappa, 1975
- Pennsylvania, 1978
- United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit, 1979
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1980
- United States Supreme Court, 1985
- United States Court of Appeals Eleventh Circuit, 1996
- United States District Court Western District of Pennsylvania, 1997
- United States Court of Appeals Second Circuit, 2005
- United States District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 2009