James J. Rodgers
Partner; Chair, Antitrust Group; Chair, Ethics Committee
James J. Rodgers is a Partner at Dilworth Paxson LLP in Philadelphia and Chair of the Firm’s Antitrust Practice Group. He litigates complex commercial cases, including trial and appeals in such areas as antitrust and intellectual property as well as contract and fraud claims, including class actions and bankruptcy matters. He has represented Fortune 500 companies, private companies, public entities, and individuals in a wide range of disputes. Jim has tried cases throughout the United States in federal and state courts. He is a former chair of the Antitrust Committee of the Philadelphia Bar Association. Jim also served for many years as chair of the firm’s Ethics Committee, and has provided counsel to lawyers both within the firm and as clients providing ethical advice and representation in litigation and disciplinary matters. He also serves as an adjunct professor at the Charles Widger School of Law at Villanova University, teaching Antitrust Law..
Jim received his BA in Political Science from Fordham University in 1972 and his JD cum laude from the University of Michigan Law School in 1975.
Jim is extensively involved in alumni activities for his undergraduate alma mater, Fordham University. For over 20 years, he has served as Leader of the Delaware Valley Chapter of the Fordham Alumni, and he served as a Vice President of the Fordham College Alumni Association. Jim is a founding member of the Executive Board of the Fordham Rowing Association, the alumni support group for men’s and women’s rowing programs at Fordham. He previously served as President of the Board of the Philadelphia Children’s Foundation, dedicated to helping young people, primarily students in the Philadelphia School District, to realize their potential by providing books, computers and other services and programs to enrich their educational experience. Jim is also President of Crescent Boat Club of Philadelphia, and represents the club as a delegate to the Board of the Schuylkill Navy of Philadelphia.
- Represented Franklin Organic Mushrooms, Inc., as a defendant in antitrust litigation in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. He also represents Maxrelief USA, Inc. in Lanham Act litigation in the E.D.Pa. In 2020, he concluded a representation of TCC Communications, Inc. in contract litigation in the Eastern District of New York.
- Represents a former corporate counsel of a non-profit entity in an action under the Pennsylvania Whistleblower Law alleging that she was terminated in retaliation for complaints about the looting of the non-profit by its officers and directors. The Attorney General of Pennsylvania is pursuing the same defendants for their improper conduct.
- Served as co-counsel for defendant Mutual Pharmaceutical Co., Inc. in antitrust litigation, In re: Skelaxin (Metaxalone) Antitrust Litigation, MDL 2343. (E.D. Tenn.) and the related case of SigmaPharm, Inc. v. King Pharmaceuticals, Inc., 772 F.Supp.2d 660 (E.D. Pa. 2011), aff’d F.3d (3d Cir. 2012), petition for cert. denied, as well as in SB Pharmco Puerto Rico v. United Research Laboratories, Inc., 552 F.Supp.2d 500 (E.D. Pa. 2008)(patent and antitrust).
- Lead counsel for two patent infringement defendants in Pharmastem Therapeutics, Inc. v. ViaCell, Inc., 491 F.3d 1342 (Fed. Cir. 2007), cert denied, 552 U.S. 1255 (2008), and related multi-district litigation In re: Pharmastem Therapeutics, Inc. Patent Litigation, MDL 1660 (D. Del.).
Professional & Community Activities
- Leader, Fordham University Club of the Delaware Valley, 1999 – present
- Vice President of the Fordham College Alumni Association, 2006 – 2010
- Chair, Philadelphia Bar Association, Antitrust Committee, 1996 – 1998
- President, Crescent Boat Club of Philadelphia, 2021-present
Speeches & Presentations
- Co-presenter, Ethical Issues in Mergers and Acquisitions: Problems Facing In-House Counsel, DELVACCA's Corporate and Securities CLE Institute, Philadelphia, PA, September 4, 2014.
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Litigation - Antitrust, 2008 – 2022.
- Appeared in the 2006 – 2009 editions of Chambers USA - America's Leading Lawyers for Business, as a Leader in his field.
- Chair, Antitrust Committee of the Philadelphia Bar Association, 1996 – 1998.
- Lecturer, Continuing Legal Education programs, Pennsylvania Bar Institute and Philadelphia Bar Association.
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2005 – 2020.
Further information on methodologies is available via these links.
- J.D., cum laude, University of Michigan Law School, 1975
- B.A., Fordham University, 1972
- Pennsylvania, 1975
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1975
- United States District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1996
- United States Court of Appeals Second Circuit, 2001
- United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit, 1976
- United States Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1988
- United States Supreme Court, 1982
- United States District Court District of Colorado, 2012