James J. Rodgers
Partner; Chair, Antitrust Group; Chair, Ethics Committee
James J. Rodgers is a Partner at Dilworth and Chair of the Firm’s Antitrust Group and Ethics Committee. He litigates complex commercial cases, including trial and appeals in such areas as antitrust, intellectual property, insurance coverage, and securities, including class actions and bankruptcy matters. He has represented Fortune 500 companies, private companies, public entities, and individuals in a wide range of disputes including merger litigation. He has advised on antitrust aspects of M&A transactions and pre-merger notification filings. Jim has tried cases throughout the United States in federal and state courts and has worked extensively with clients in the pharmaceutical and financial services industries.
Jim is extensively involved in alumni activities for his undergraduate alma mater, Fordham University. For the past decade, Jim has acted as President of the Delaware Valley Chapter of the Fordham Alumni, and he served as a Vice President of the Fordham College Alumni Association from 1996-2000. He is a founding member of the Executive Board of the Fordham Rowing Association.
Jim is also President of the Board of the Philadelphia Children’s Foundation, dedicated to helping young people, primarily students in the Philadelphia School District, to realize their potential by providing books, computers and other services and programs to enrich their educational experience.
- Co-counsel for defendant Mutual Pharmaceutical Co., Inc. in pending antitrust litigation, In re: Skelaxin (Metaxalone) Antitrust Litigation, MDL 2343. (E.D. Tenn.) and the related case of SigmaPharm, Inc. v. King Pharmaceuticals, Inc., 772 F.Supp.2d 660 (E.D. Pa. 2011), aff’d F.3d (3d Cir. 2012), petition for cert. denied, as well as in SB Pharmco Puerto Rico v. United Research Laboratories, Inc., 552 F.Supp.2d 500 (E.D. Pa. 2008)(patent and antitrust).
- Lead counsel for two patent infringement defendants in Pharmastem Therapeutics, Inc. v. ViaCell, Inc., 491 F.3d 1342 (Fed. Cir. 2007), cert denied, 552 U.S. 1255 (2008), and related multi-district litigation In re: Pharmastem Therapeutics, Inc. Patent Litigation, MDL 1660 (D. Del.).
- Co-counsel for defendants The Dow Chemical Co. and Union Carbide Corp. in In Re: Plastics Additives Antitrust Litigation, MDL No. 1684 (E.D. Pa. 2008-2011).
- Lead member of plaintiff’s litigation team in Harmelin v. Man Financial, a hedge-fund fraud case settled for $96 million, No. 06-1944 (E.D. Pa. 2007-2008).
- Counsel for a defendant in Ace American Insurance v. Certain Underwriters at Lloyds, 939 A.2d 935 (Pa. Super. 2008), affirmed per curiam (2009).
- Counsel for a defendant in In re: Stock Exchange Options Trading Antitrust Litigation, 317 F.3d 134 (2d Cir. 2003).
- Co-Counsel for opt-out plaintiffs In re: Linerboard Antitrust Litigation, and In re: Graphite Electrodes Antitrust Litigation, in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Co-counsel for former corporate CEO as a class action defendant in Rite Aid Securities Litigation, 269 F.Supp. 2d 603 (E.D. Pa. 2003)
- Represented creditor securing dismissal of Chapter 11 bankruptcy case for bad faith filing In re: SGL Carbon Corp., 200 F.3d 154 (3d Cir. 2001).
- Co-lead counsel for plaintiffs in challenge to Pennsylvania’s school funding formula under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act, Powell v. Ridge, 247 F.2d 520 (3d Cir. 2001).
Professional & Community Activities
- President, Fordham University Club of the Delaware Valley, 1999 – present
- Vice President of the Fordham College Alumni Association, 2006 – 2010
- Chair, Philadelphia Bar Association, Antitrust Committee, 1996 – 1998
Speeches & Presentations
- Co-presenter, Ethical Issues in Mergers and Acquisitions: Problems Facing In-House Counsel, DELVACCA's Corporate and Securities CLE Institute, Philadelphia, PA, September 4, 2014.
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Litigation - Antitrust, 2008 – 2016.
- Appeared in the 2006 – 2009 editions of Chambers USA - America's Leading Lawyers for Business, as a Leader in his field.
- Chair, Antitrust Committee of the Philadelphia Bar Association, 1996 – 1998.
- Lecturer, Continuing Legal Education programs, Pennsylvania Bar Institute and Philadelphia Bar Association.
- Super Lawyers, 2005 – 2015.
- J.D., cum laude, University of Michigan Law School, 1975
- B.A., Fordham University, 1972
- Pennsylvania, 1975
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1975
- United States District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1996
- United States Court of Appeals Second Circuit, 2001
- United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit, 1976
- United States Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1988
- United States Supreme Court, 1982
- United States District Court District of Colorado, 2012