Lawrence G. McMichael
Chairman; Executive Committee Member
Lawrence G. McMichael is Chairman of Dilworth Paxson LLP. He is a permanent member of the Firm’s Executive Committee. He has practiced commercial litigation for more than 37 years. He is the former Chairman of the Firm’s Litigation Department and former chair of its Bankruptcy Group. Mr. McMichael has extensive trial experience in federal, state, and bankruptcy courts and has served as lead counsel in many high profile cases and appeals.
Mr. McMichael is one of only a handful of attorneys in the U.S. to be a Fellow of both the American College of Trial Lawyers and the American College of Bankruptcy. He is a member of the American and Philadelphia Bar Associations and the American Bankruptcy Institute. In addition, Mr. McMichael is a frequent lecturer for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, the American Bar Association, Business Law Section, and other organizations. He also has authored papers for presentation at Pennsylvania Bar Institute programs and at the American Bankruptcy Institute.
Mr. McMichael earned his J.D. from Duke University and his B.A. from Duke, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa.
- Representation of the Rigas Family as defendants in over 50 securities cases arising from the collapse of Adelphia Communications
- Representation of Sanjay Kumar, former Chairman and CEO of Computer Associates in connection with the Computer Associates securities litigation
- Representation of the Philadelphia Inquirer and Daily News as lead Debtors’ counsel in their bankruptcy proceeding
- Representation of the Philadelphia Orchestra as lead Debtor’s counsel in its bankruptcy proceeding
- Representation of John and Timothy Rigas in the defense of a federal criminal tax case, including a successful en banc argument of double jeopardy defenses in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Representation of the family of Hassan Nemazee in connection with criminal forfeiture proceedings
- Representation of the controlling shareholders of Erie Indemnity Company in shareholders derivative claims
- Representation of a senior official of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia in connection with a grand jury proceeding and criminal investigation
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Member, American College of Bankruptcy
- Member, Union League of Philadelphia
- Member, Supreme Court Historical Society
- Member, Eastern District of Pennsylvania Historical Society
- Member, Philadelphia Bar Association
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, St. Thomas More Society of Philadelphia
- Homeless Advocacy Project
Speeches & Presentations
- “Top Commercial Cases of the Year,” American Bankruptcy Institute, Philadelphia, PA, October 30, 2014.
- Non-Profit Insolvency presentation, American College of Trusts and Estates, New Orleans, LA, October 8, 2014.
- Presented “Bankruptcy Appeals: Credit Bidding Under A Plan: RadLax”, American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Las Vegas, NV, March 2012.
- Presented “What’s Hot In Complex Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Practice: Credit Bidding And Strategies Post-In Re Philadelphia Newspapers, LLC”, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Philadelphia, PA, March 2012.
- Presented “Operating The Entity At The Intersection of Bankruptcy And Forfeiture: “Distribution And Priority In The Bankruptcy And Forfeiture Context: Advanced Topics”, American Bar Association, Business Law Section, San Francisco, CA, November 2011.
- Presented “Keep It Interesting: Novel Issues Right Here In Philadelphia In The Inquirer Case”, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, Bankruptcy Conference Fall Program, November 9, 2009.
- Chambers USA, Lead Attorney in Bankruptcy/Restructuring, “Star Individuals” (2012)
- Named Philadelphia Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year" for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2013)
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2006-2016)
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyer (2004-2015)
- Philadelphia Business Journal, “Leaders in Law” (2009)
- J.D., Duke University School of Law, 1978
- B.A., summa cum laude, Duke University, Phi Beta Kappa, 1975
- Pennsylvania, 1978
- United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit, 1979
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1980
- United States Supreme Court, 1985
- United States Court of Appeals Eleventh Circuit, 1996
- United States District Court Western District of Pennsylvania, 1997
- United States Court of Appeals Second Circuit, 2005
- United States District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 2009