Joseph F. Kessler
Partner, Chair, Real Estate Group
Joseph F. Kessler represents family-owned businesses, contractors, real estate developers, REITs, middle-market companies, public authorities and non-profit corporations in matters of corporate governance, development, financing, construction, leasing and sales of commercial real estate. Joe has also handled eminent domain proceedings and real estate tax appeals for commercial property owners primarily in the City of Philadelphia.
Joe has experience regarding health care facilities leasing, mixed-use projects, including student housing and parking projects, and green building principles. Joe also represents the country’s largest title insurance underwriters with respect to title insurance law and complex real estate- related litigation.
A committed alumnus of Saint Joseph’s University, Joe is a founding member of SJU’s Real Estate and Construction Alumni Advisory Board and is a member of the University’s Board of Trustees Development and External Affairs Subcommittee. He has been a guest lecturer at St. Joe’s for its real estate courses.
- Represented a national real estate investment trust in connection with a lease in a suburban mall for a health care facility.
- Represented developer of Walnut Towers (8th & Walnut) mixed use condominium project involving acquisition, zoning, condominium documents, refinance of bond financing and, development of air rights, including sale to joint venture for development of a medical office tower.
- Represented the Camden County Improvement Authority in connection with the development of a parking center at Cooper Hospital and student housing project for Rutgers University in Camden, NJ.
- Represents a local WBE general contractor in general business matters, as well as construction claims and defenses of mechanic lien filings by subcontractors.
- Represented developer of 313 unit Philadelphia town house development in acquisition, zoning, loan documentation and real estate tax appeals.
- Represented National Constitution Center in construction agreements and claims related to constructing the Museum located in Independence National Historic Park, Philadelphia, PA.
- Represented Chicago Title Insurance Company in title insurance/mechanic’s lien claims in Pennsylvania involving both residential and commercial real estate.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member of Saint Joseph's University Board of Trustees Development and External Affairs Subcommittee
- Founding board member, Saint Joseph’s University Real Estate and Construction Alumni Advisory Board
- Board Member, March of Dimes Transportation, Building and Construction Luncheon
- Board Member, Delaware Valley Green Building Council and sponsorship chair for Road to US Greenbuild
- Member, American Land Title Association (ALTA)
- Member, Pennsylvania Land Title Association (PLTA)
- Member of General Builders & Contractors Association
- Member of Urban Land Institute (Philadelphia)
- Member, Philadelphia Bar Association, Real Estate Section
Speeches & Presentations
- Moderator: "Transactions Outlook," RealShare Philadelphia, March 7, 2013
- Host: "Green Building: New Perspectives and Considerations When Planning Your Next Real Estate Project," October 25, 2012
- Moderator: “What You Need to Know About the City’s New Zoning Code”
- Panelist: "Building the Capital Stack for Commercial Real Estate 2012"
- Chairperson, Saint Joseph’s Real Estate and Construction Alumni Holiday Luncheon
- Title Insurance Law Symposiums
- Planner: Presentation: "Managing Clients’ Expectations in Volatile Market"
- Philadelphia Business Journal Leaders in the Law
- J.D., Villanova University School of Law, Law Review, 1982
- B.A., summa cum laude, St. Joseph's University, 1979
- Pennsylvania, 1982
- New Jersey, 1982
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1982
- United States District Court District of New Jersey, 1982
- United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit