Dilworth Paxson serves clients ranging from primary schools to universities throughout the Mid-Atlantic region.
A History of Helping Primary and Secondary Schools
Dilworth Paxson has a historic perspective on education issues in Philadelphia. The firm served for many years as lead counsel for the Philadelphia School District, most notably in cases involving school desegregation. Our higher education group also participated in suits against the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania regarding methods of school funding.
The firm continues to work with many private primary and secondary-level private and charter schools on financing issues. These include serving as bond counsel, school counsel or underwriter’s counsel.
The firm has provided counsel to primary and secondary schools on such issues as:
- Disciplining and discharging faculty members.
- Developing policy manuals tailored to a school’s specific goals and characteristics.
- Guidance and advice on labor and employment law compliance, notably in the areas of wage and hour policies and anti-discrimination laws.
- Developing social media policies and a training seminar about the legal implications of social networking activity for faculty and students.
Proud to Partner with Colleges and Universities
Dilworth Paxson understands what it takes to keep colleges running smoothly. That’s why many lawyers in our Education group sit on the boards of several institutions. That experience has helped the firm provide counsel to public and private universities in a variety of capacities including:
- Establishing tuition refund processes
- Organizing monetary projects to fund campus construction and university housing
- Real estate issues
- Disability discrimination defense
- Race discrimination defense
- Defining severance guidelines and policies
- Bond offerings
- Bond refinancing
- Advice on construction bonds
- Drafting social media policies
- Advising students on safe social media usage
- Non-profit matters
- Complex tax issues