Dilworth Paxson’s Employee Benefits Group practices in the following areas:
- Pension and profit sharing plans – drafting and design
- Employee benefits issues in mergers and acquisitions
- Qualified retirement plan audits by IRS and the DOL
- IRS and DOL correction program filings
- Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) fiduciary/compliance issues
- Welfare benefit plans, cafeteria plans, and flexible spending accounts
- Nonqualified plans and Internal Revenue Code Section 409A
- Collectively-bargained and multiemployer plans
- Taxation of retirement plan/IRA distribution issues
- Health, disability, and life insurance
- Annual report (Form 5500 Return) for benefit plans
- Employee stock ownership plans (ESOP)
The group assists its clients to achieve their business goals in a manner consistent with the ever-changing requirements of such federal agencies as the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the US Department of Labor (DOL), and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC).
Dilworth Paxson’s Employee Benefits Group lawyers continuously monitor both labor and federal tax laws in order to provide clients with effective and economical counsel in addressing these challenging areas of law. Our lawyers collaborate with other Dilworth Paxson lawyers on a variety of issues relevant to clients. The Employee Benefits Group regularly works with lawyers in Dilworth Paxson’s Business Department, Litigation Department, Tax Group, and Labor & Employment Group.
ERISA and Other Employee Benefits Litigation
Dilworth Paxson has substantial experience representing plans, employers and third-party administrators in ERISA and benefits-related claims. This litigation has involved benefit denials, fiduciary responsibility, prohibited transactions, preemption, breach of contract, promissory estoppel and unfair insurance practices.