William E. McGrath, Jr.
Bill McGrath represents clients in complex commercial litigation matters in state and federal courts, focusing on domestic and international insurers in claims involving insurance coverage and reinsurance. His practice also includes commercial, corporate, restrictive covenant and False Claims Act litigation. Bill’s practice includes the arbitration and mediation of insurance, reinsurance and other commercial disputes, he is a New Jersey (state) Court Rule 1:40 Qualified Mediator and is certified as a mediator by the federal district court in New Jersey. In keeping with his reinsurance practice, Bill is a member of ARIAS●U.S.
- Represents an excess insurer in New York Supreme Court on insurance coverage claims of the National Football League arising from the MDL Class Action concussion litigation settlement.
- Represents an excess insurer in coverage litigation concerning the Lower Passaic River Basin environmental litigation, including interlocutory appeal to the New Jersey Supreme Court.
- Represented a Korean insurer in insurance coverage litigation in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey arising out of the self-start microwave oven MDL in Michigan against General Electric Company.
- Represented a domestic insurer in the Superior Court of Connecticut arising out of myriad claims against the manufacturer of OxyContin®.
- Represented a Norwegian insurer in coverage claims arising out of contrast medium bodily injury claims.
- Represented a former National Basketball Association All-Star in a wrongful death shooting claim.
Speeches & Presentations
- “Stacking, Viking Pump and Non-Cumulation of Liability,” American Conference Institute, New York, N.Y., June 2016.
- “Construction Defect Resource Guide,” Co-author with Andrew Sanchez, published by Munich Reinsurance America, Inc., 50 state survey of insurance coverage issues in construction defect law. 2015 and 2013 editions.
- “Environmental Coverage Case Law Review,” Co-author with Gerard Novak, published by Munich Reinsurance America, Inc., 50 state survey of insurance coverage issues for environmental and long-tail claims. 2011 edition.
- “Allocating Coverage Among Covered and Non-Covered Claims: An Update on the Duty to Defend,” The Brief, Winter 2009, Vol. 28, No. 2, American Bar Association
Selected to The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Litigation Insurance, 2017-2019.
- J.D., The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, 1982
- A.B., Gettysburg College, 1976
- New York, 2013
- New Jersey, 1983
- District of Columbia, 1982
- United States Court of Appeals Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit
- United States District Court District of New Jersey
- United States District Court Southern and Eastern Districts of New York