John A. Squires
Partner; Chairman of IP and Emerging Company Practice
John A. Squires has a broad and globally recognized intellectual property practice and is considered one of the world's thought leaders in FinTech, Blockchain, Cybersecurity and Risk. He has extensive experience in all aspects of IP and emerging companies, including IP transactions, licensing, patent-asset creation and acquisition, commercial litigation, regulatory, and risk management matters. John led the creation of the United States’ first patent asset backed finance platform for one of the world's leading funds. He co-founded, launched and sits on the board of numerous IP and risk related businesses, including the nation’s RegTech platform and Regulatory DataCorp, Inc.
In response to the 9/11 attacks, John and 20 of the world's leading financial institutions established an anti-money laundering, anti-terrorist financing information and analytics business. His recent Fintech/Regtech engagements include groundbreaking efforts focused on financial inclusion and empowerment, impact investing and global standards setting and compliance. John began his IP/Fintech career as Chief IP Counsel for Goldman Sachs from 2000-2009.
- Structured lending business and remain lead counsel to a global investment fund - (U.S.' first patent/structured finance financing platform); Wharton Business Journal: Why lnvestment Friendly Patents Spell Trouble For Trolls.
- Led litigation counsel, Den-Mat Holdings v. Cao Group (CDCa).
- Structured business and current lead counsel to RANE, the Risk Assistance Network & Exchange (www.RaneNetwork.com) a collaborative risk management start-up.
- Led initial creation of and IP matters in sale of Regulatory DataCorp, Inc. to Vista Equity Partners.
- Led the SIFMA IP Sub-Committee from 2002-2007, Testified on Patent Reform to the Senate Judiciary Committee on Behalf of American Bankers Ass’n and the SIFMA.
- Testified to the Federal Trade Commission on the Evolving IP MarketPlace.
Professional & Community Activities
- Adjunct Professor, Legal Writing, University of Pennsylvania School of Law
- University of Southern California, Member, Parent Engagement Committee, 2017 – 2018
- Faculty Member and Lecturer, Cybersecurity Workforce Alliance (a partnership with the New York Federal Reserve Bank, its Member Banks, and CUNY and SUNY systems)
Speeches & Presentations
- Guest Lecturer, UC Hastings School of Law; Blockchain Law (And What If There Was Any….), January 2018.
- Guest Lecturer, SUNY (Albany): It’s the Cybercrime and It’s Sponsors (Not My Cybersecurity), Stupid, November, 2017.
- American Corporate Counsel, Why Invest in Friendly Patents Spell Trouble for Trolls (reprint of Wharton Business Journal): Knowledge@Wharton, (March 6, 2016).
- Wharton Business Journal, Knowledge@Wharton, Blockchain, the Bard and Building More Inclusion for Banking, (January 4, 2018, co-author).
- Wharton Business Journal, Knowledge@Wharton, Why What Happened in Vegas, Won’t Stay in Vegas, (October 26, 2017, co-author).
- Journal of Law and Cyber Warfare, It’s the Cyber Crime and its Sponsors (Not My Cyber-Security), Stupid (April 2017, co-author).
- Wharton Business Journal, The Ten Commandments of Cyber Security Knowledge@Wharton, (February 24, 2016, co-author).
- Wharton Business Journal, The 'Soft Power' War ISIS Doesn't Want Knowledge@Wharton, (December 2015, co-author).
- Wharton Business Journal, We Don't Need a Crisis to Act Unitedly Against Cyber Threats, Knowledge@Wharton, (June 2015, co-author).
- Wharton Business Journal, In the Struggle Against Extremism, Social Media Is the Message Knowledge@Wharton, (January 2015, co-author).
- Corporate Counsel Magazine, Legal Analytics and Corporate Law Today: A Roundtable Discussion General Publications, (November 2014).
- Wharton Business Journal, Trust But Verify: How Security Loopholes Can Undermine Online Compliance Training Knowledge@Wharton, (July 2014, co-author).
- Best Lawyers in America, 2012-2019, Litigation - Patent.
- Chambers USA, "America's Leading Lawyers" for Intellectual Property: Patent, 2015 – 16.
- Managing Intellectual Property, "IP Star", 2013 – present, Litigation.
- Lexology/ILO Global Client Choice Award 2016, New York, Intellectual Property, Patents.
- FT Most Innovative Lawyers Award 2013 (PatentAnalysis Tool in REDI Technologies divestiture).
- Intellectual Asset Management Magazine 300 World's Leading IP Strategists, 2008 – present.
- Intellectual Asset Management Magazine 1000, PatenUPatent Litigation, 2008 – present.
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 1992
- Articles Editor, University of Pittsburgh Law Review
- B.S., Chemistry, Bucknell University, 1984
- New York
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- United States District Court Southern District of New York
- United States District Court Eastern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
- United States Supreme Court