Jennifer L. Maleski
Jennifer L. Maleski is experienced in the areas of insolvency and restructuring as well as commercial and general litigation with special experience in bankruptcy. She has represented a variety of debtors in Chapter 11 proceedings, including debtors in the hotel industry, the coal industry, the waste industry, and the residential apartment industry. Ms. Maleski has also represented a variety of financial institutions, trade creditors, and landlords in numerous Chapter 7, 11, and 13 matters. She has represented Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 trustees in various bankruptcy proceedings. Ms. Maleski represents parties in various commercial litigation, including contract disputes and foreclosure actions as well as in insolvency and workout matters. Her varied experience representing clients on all sides and in all aspects of the bankruptcy and workout process gives Ms. Maleski a unique and complete perspective of the insolvency and restructuring field.
- Represented LaGuardia Associates, L.P. and Field Hotel Associates, L.P. in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding, Case No. 04-34512 (Bankr. E.D. Pa.), and successfully confirmed Chapter 11 Plan of Reorganization over objection from largest secured creditor.
- Represented Chapter 11 Trustee of Reading Broadcasting, Inc., Case No. 05-26563 (Bankr. E.D. Pa.), and successfully confirmed Chapter 11 Plan of Liquidation over objection and competing plan filed by major unsecured creditor.
- Represented Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company in liquidating Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding, Case No. 08-51957 (Bankr. M.D. Pa.), and successfully negotiated a cooperative and structured liquidation and disbursement of remaining estate assets and dismissal of case with numerous constituents.
- Represent Chapter 7 Trustee in ongoing Chapter 7 bankruptcy proceedings pending in the Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware, including Tweeter Opco, et al., No. 08-12646; IH1, Inc., et al., No.09-10982; deCODE Chemistry, Inc., et al., No. 10-11060; Proliance International, Inc., et al., No. 09-12278; Barcalounger Corp., et al., No. 10-11637; DSI Holdings, Inc. et al., No. 11-11941; Addco LLC, No. 13-10072; and Ledgemont Capital Group, LLC, No. 13-11196. Representation includes all aspects of bankruptcy case, estate administration, and the commencement of litigation, including collection, avoidance actions and D&O litigation.
- Represented Chapter 7 Trustee in Chapter 7 bankruptcy proceeding of TAG Aviation USA, Inc. in the Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware, No. 09-13490, and successfully negotiated a settlement with the Debtor’s parent company and secured creditor that allowed all creditors to be paid in full.
- Represented large bank in Chapter 11 proceedings in the Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and successfully negotiated workout of $30 million loan.
- Represented owner of landfill in Chapter 11 proceeding in the Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania and successfully confirmed Chapter 11 Plan of Liquidation that allowed for an orderly wind-down of the business.
- Represented LaGuardia Associates, L.P. in Chapter 11 proceeding in the Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, Case No. 11-19334, and successfully confirmed a Chapter 11 Plan of Reorganization that allowed for the restructuring of more than $55 million in secured debt.
- Represent banks, landlords, secured, and unsecured creditors in Chapter 7, 11, and 13 proceedings pending in the Bankruptcy Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of Pennsylvania and the District of New Jersey, including assertion of claims, objections to Chapter 11 and Chapter 13 Plans of Reorganization, obtaining relief from the automatic stay to pursue foreclosure and eviction proceedings, and defense of avoidance actions.
- Represent Creekside Associates Ltd. in Chapter 11 proceeding pending in the Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, Case No. 14-19952.
Professional & Community Activities
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Bruce I. Fox, Chief Bankruptcy Judge, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 2002 – 2004
- Subcommittee Chair, Local Rules Advisory Committee, Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference
Participant, Education Committee, Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference
- Participant, Homeless Advocacy Project Clinic
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute and Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference
- J.D., with high honors, University of Connecticut School of Law, Executive Editor of the Connecticut Law Review, 2002
- B.A., summa cum laude, Political Science, Mary Washington College, Phi Beta Kappa, 1999
- Connecticut, 2002
- Pennsylvania, 2004
- New Jersey, 2005
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 2005
- United States District Court District of New Jersey, 2005
- United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit, 2008