Jennifer L. Maleski
Jennifer L. Maleski is experienced in the areas of insolvency and restructuring as well as commercial and general litigation with special experience in bankruptcy. She has represented a variety of debtors in Chapter 11 proceedings and out-of-court restructurings, including debtors in the hotel, coal mining, waste removal, residential housing, and telecommunications industries, as well as several non-profit entities. Ms. Maleski has also represented a variety of financial institutions, trade creditors, and landlords in numerous Chapter 7, 11, and 13 matters, as well as trustees in both Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 proceedings. Ms. Maleski also represents financial institutions in commercial workout and litigation matters, including obtaining judgments, foreclosing collateral, and pursuing other collection options, as well as negotiating loan modifications and settlements. Her varied experience representing clients on all sides and in all aspects of the bankruptcy and workout process, as well as her litigation experience, gives Ms. Maleski a unique and complete perspective of the insolvency and restructuring field.
- Represented Chapter 11 Trustee of Reading Broadcasting, Inc., in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, and successfully confirmed Chapter 11 Plan of Liquidation over objection and competing plan filed by major unsecured creditor.
- Represented Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company in liquidating Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and successfully negotiated a cooperative and structured liquidation and disbursement of remaining estate assets and dismissal of case with numerous constituents.
- Represented Chapter 7 Trustee in numerous bankruptcy proceedings in the Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware. Representation included all aspects of bankruptcy case, estate administration, and the commencement of litigation, including collection, avoidance actions and D&O litigation.
- Represented large bank in Chapter 11 proceedings in the Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and successfully negotiated workout of $30 million loan.
- Represented owner of landfill in Chapter 11 proceeding in the Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania and successfully confirmed Chapter 11 Plan of Liquidation that allowed for an orderly wind-down of the business.
- Represented LaGuardia Associates, L.P. in Chapter 11 proceeding in the Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and successfully confirmed a Chapter 11 Plan of Reorganization that allowed for the restructuring of more than $55 million in secured debt.
- Represented Creekside Associates Ltd. in Chapter 11 proceeding in the Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and successfully negotiated a consensual restructuring of the debtor’s secured debt.
- Represented Limitless Mobile, LLC in Chapter 11 proceeding in the Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware and successfully negotiated a consensual Plan of Reorganization with multiple constituents, including the federal government and state taxing authority.
- Represented medical marijuana dispensary, as tenant, in Chapter 11 proceeding in the Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey and negotiated successful sale of the debtor’s property to an affiliate of the tenant to allow minimal disruption to the client’s business.
- Represented non-profit school in successful restructuring of secured debt.
- Represent National Medical Imaging, LLC in Chapter 11 proceeding pending in the Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Represent regional bank in litigation in the Court of Common Pleas of Philadelphia to recover amounts loaned to owners of residential apartment buildings, including successful appointment of a receiver to manage the properties.
Professional & Community Activities
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Bruce I. Fox, Chief Bankruptcy Judge, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 2002 – 2004
- Subcommittee Chair, Local Rules Advisory Committee, Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference
- Participant, Education Committee, Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference
- Participant, Homeless Advocacy Project Clinic
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute and Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference
- J.D., with high honors, University of Connecticut School of Law, Executive Editor of the Connecticut Law Review, 2002
- B.A., summa cum laude, Political Science, Mary Washington College, Phi Beta Kappa, 1999
- Connecticut, 2002
- Pennsylvania, 2004
- New Jersey, 2005
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 2005
- United States District Court District of New Jersey, 2005
- United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit, 2008