Thomas E. Hastings
Tom Hastings is an accomplished litigator and counselor, with particular experience in appeals and the defense of liability insurers in complex insurance coverage and extra-contractual liability actions. His practice also includes commercial and business tort litigation and product liability matters. Tom's trial experience includes serving as first chair in a several month environmental insurance coverage action. His appellate work includes appeals of substantial commercial and personal injury verdicts and insurance coverage determinations.
- The affirmance by the New Jersey Appellate Division of summary judgment for a pool liner installer in a diving injury case in Tran v. Nguyen (2018).
- The dismissal, in favor of arbitration, of an order to show cause against a home warranty insurer in Enea v, NJ Office of Dispute Settlement (2017).
- The reversal of a jury verdict against a hospital for breach of its contracts with a group of physicians in Vosough v. Kierce, 437 N.J. Super. 218 (App. Div. 2014).
- The dismissal of tortious interference claims against a third-party insurance administrator, affirmed by the Appellate Division, in Dooley v. La Padula (2014).
- Summary judgment for an auto insurer, affirmed by the Appellate Division, recognizing a limitation on the “permissive use” doctrine, in Hudeen v. Smith (2014).
- The affirmance by the Appellate Division of an order striking an award of punitive damages against an employer in a CEPA action in Phillips v. Marriott Ownership Resorts, Inc. (2012).
- Summary judgment for an insurer in an additional insured coverage dispute, affirmed by the Appellate Division, in Smith v. Toys "R" Us, Inc. (2012).
- The 99% remittitur of a pain and suffering award in a workplace exposure case, sustained on appeal by the Appellate Division, in Webb v. Troy Corp. (2007).
- The unanimous reversal by the New Jersey Supreme Court of a plaintiff’s verdict against a property owner, in light of the plaintiff's refusal to testify at trial, in Gonzalez v. Safe and Sound Security Corp., 185 N.J. 100 (2005).
- Best Lawyers, Insurance Law, 2006 - 2019
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1982
- A.B., magna cum laude, Economics, Princeton University, 1979
- New York, 1983
- New Jersey, 1987
- United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit
- United States District Court New Jersey
- United States District Court Southern and Eastern Districts of New York