Ms. Renee H. Martin, JD, RN, MSN
Ms. Martin's practice focuses principally on the representation of mental health and substance abuse providers, hospitals, home health care agencies, CCRCs, skilled nursing facilities and other licensed facilities in matters involving Medicare and Medicaid regulatory compliance, licensure, survey and enforcement actions, reimbursement, and healthcare related transactions.
Ms. Martin is a recognized leader in the compliance and data breach response industries, providing and coordinating a variety of legal and professional services and audit products to identify, manage and remediate risk vis-à-vis the privacy, security and breach notification regulations promulgated under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH). Ms. Martin has extensive experience assisting clients on matters including: HIPAA policy assessment and development; workforce and management training; privacy and security audits; risk assessments; drafting, reviewing and negotiating business associate agreements; privacy notice development; breach assessment and notification; corrective actions; OCR investigation response; and general advice regarding the use, disclosure, exchange, retention and destruction of health information. Her in-depth knowledge of state mental health and substance abuse law privacy requirements, federal privacy requirements for substance abuse and their integration with HIPAA, enables her to provide industry-specific strategies in response to complex informational privacy issues.
Ms. Martin worked as a critical care nurse for a number of years prior to engaging in the practice of law. Ms. Martin received her Master’s Degree in Nursing Education and was an Associate Professor of Nursing at the West Chester University College of Nursing where she provided didactic and clinical teaching on critical care nursing to senior nursing students. Following law school graduation, she served as adjunct faculty at Villanova University School of Law teaching a course on Health Care Law. Ms. Martin also has extensive clinical experience with hospitals, physician groups and long-term care facilities, which enables her to provide unparalleled value to clients desiring to satisfy increasingly complex quality improvement and patient safety goals and population health management obligations. She regularly counsels clients regarding patient safety regulatory compliance and support in the implementation of policies and procedures and clinical protocols to ensure that patient safety and quality, she works with client operations and business teams to develop, market and implement pay for performance, value-based purchasing and full risk payment initiatives. She also guides clients in their efforts to maintain and optimize their patient safety practices in a manner consistent with Medicare, Medicaid, and accreditation requirements, and assists clients in strategizing and coordinating effective responses when safety concerns and reimbursement issues arise.
She continues to regularly publish and speak both locally and nationally on a myriad of health law topics.
- Developed a comprehensive integrated patient safety program for a large behavioral health care provider offering inpatient, outpatient, partial hospitalization, behavioral rehabilitation services, and residential treatment services.
- Successfully responded to and resolved numerous HIPAA complaints brought before the Office of Civil Rights.
- Effectively defended a large behavioral health care provider involved in an Office of Civil Rights HIPAA compliance investigation and an alleged retaliation claim thereby avoiding the imposition of a $100,000 fine.
- Oversaw and coordinated numerous provider HIPAA data breach responses, some involving affected individuals in multiple jurisdictions, and concurrent investigations by the Office of Civil Rights and other federal and state authorities.
- Drafted organizational, governance, and membership agreements in the formation of a Regional Health Information Network for hospital systems in rural Pennsylvania.
- Obtained the reversal of a significant overpayment demand from a Medicaid Managed Care Plan.
- Drafted HIPAA policies and procedures for a large employer’s self-insured and self-administered health plan.
- Provided on-site risk management and patient safety services, including the drafting of risk management and patient safety and procedures, for a large Philadelphia orthopedic practice which resulted in no medical malpractice claims being filed against the practice during the two year period of providing the on-site risk management services.
- Assisted in the formation of one of the first integrated behavioral health and primary care medical homes.
- Developed the HIPAA/FERPA plans for a number of educational facilities with healthcare clinics and has negotiated staffing agreements between educational facilities with health clinics and appropriately licensed supervisory staff.
Professional & Community Activities
- Associate Professor, College of Nursing, West Chester University, 1988 – 1990
- Board of Directors, Community Volunteers in Medicine, 2014 – present
- Board of Directors, White Horse Village, September 2012 – 2014
- Board of Directors, Barclay Friends, September 2009 – 2011
- Board of Trustees, American Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists Foundation, Appointed January 2006 – 2008
- Board of Trustees, Community Volunteers in Medicine, April 2002 – 2008, Board Chair, 2006 – 2008
- Counsel, Community Volunteers in Medicine, 2008 – present
- Board of Directors, American Association of Managed Care Nurses, 2000 – 2004
- Editor, PHIMA Legal Reference Manual for Health Information Management in Pennsylvania, 2000
- Editorial Advisory Board, Patient Safety and Quality Healthcare Journal, May 2006 – present
- Editorial Advisory Board, ADVANCE for Nurses Publication, 1999 – present
- Editorial Advisory Board, HCPro Briefings on the Joint Commission 2012
- Adjunct Faculty, Villanova University School of Law, Lecturer in Law, 2005 – 2007
Speeches & Presentations
- Martin, R. Autieri, K., The Federal Government's Initiatives to Drive Quality of Care: What Patient Safety Officers Need to Know, Patient Safety and Quality Healthcare. May/June 2011.
- Martin, R. New CMS Survey Guidance for Hospitals Reporting Mediation Errors, Briefings on The Joint Commission, October 2011.
- Martin R. OIG Issues report on CMS Handling Serious Adverse Events, Briefings on The Joint Commission, February 1, 2012.
- Martin, R. Compliance Lessons Learned from Penn State, HCCA's Compliance Today, December, 2012.
- "What to do When the Government Comes Knocking" Pennsylvania Association of Rehabilitation Facilities Annual Meeting, State College, PA, October 2010.
- "Legal Issues Affecting CRNPs", Pennsylvania/Delaware Chapter of the National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners, Bala Cynwd, PA, October 2010.
- "Ten Top Risk Management Policies Every ASC Should Have", Pennsylvania Association of Ambulatory Surgery Centers, Harrisburg, PA, October 2010.
- "Navigating Confidentiality Requirements: What's a Provider to Do?" Pennsylvania Community Providers Association. Technology Conference, Harrisburg, PA, February 2011.
- "Compliance Obligations for Supervisors", Horizon House Management, Philadelphia, PA, October 5, 2011.
- "The Pitfalls of Social Media" 2012 PCPA Technology Conference, Lancaster, PA, March 22, 2012.
- "Integrating Physical and Behavioral Health for Children and Adolescents: Legal Implications for Confidentiality and Consent for Minors Under Pennsylvania Law" Pennsylvania Chapter of the American Academy Of Pediatrics’ Medical Home Initiative, April 20, 2017.
- "Hot Issues in Home Health Care Compliance Enforcement and Developing an Effective Program" Pennsylvania Home Care Association, May 2, 2017.
News / Events
Events / Speaking Engagements
- J.D., with honors, Villanova University School of Law, 1994
- Villanova Moot Court Board, Winning Team; Selected as Best Oralist, Rabbi Seymour Segal Medical/Legal Ethics National Competition, Duke University 1994
- M.S.N., magna cum laude, Nursing, Villanova University, Honors: Listed in Who's Who in American Nursing, 1988
- B.S.N., magna cum laude, Nursing, Neumann College, 1982
- Pennsylvania, 1994, Active