Ms. Renee H. Martin, JD, RN, MSN
Ms. Martin's practice focuses principally on the representation of behavioral health and substance abuse providers, hospitals, home health care agencies, CCRCs, skilled nursing facilities and other licensed facilities in matters involving Medicare and Medicaid regulatory compliance, licensure, survey and enforcement actions, reimbursement, and healthcare related transactions.
Ms. Martin is a recognized leader in the compliance and data breach response industries, providing and coordinating a variety of legal and professional services and audit products to identify, manage and remediate risk vis-à-vis the privacy, security and breach notification regulations promulgated under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH). Ms. Martin has extensive experience assisting clients on matters including: HIPAA Privacy Rule policy drafting and development; HIPAA workforce and management training; privacy and security audits; risk assessments; drafting, reviewing and negotiating business associate agreements; breach assessment and notification; corrective actions; OCR investigation response; and general advice regarding the use, disclosure, exchange, retention and destruction of health information. Her in-depth knowledge of federal and state confidentiality requirements for behavioral health and substance abuse providers, together with their integration with HIPAA, enables her to provide industry-specific strategies in response to complex informational privacy issues, including the integration of health care information across care continuums and within health care systems.
Ms. Martin worked as a critical care nurse for a number of years prior to engaging in the practice of law. Ms. Martin received her Master’s Degree in Nursing Education and was an Associate Professor of Nursing at the West Chester University College of Nursing where she provided didactic and clinical teaching on critical care nursing to senior nursing students. Following law school graduation, she served as adjunct faculty at Villanova University School of Law teaching courses on Health Care Law. Ms. Martin also has extensive clinical experience with hospitals, physician groups and long-term care facilities, which enables her to provide unparalleled value to clients desiring to satisfy the increasingly complex pressures to meet their quality improvement, patient safety, and population health management obligations. She regularly counsels clients regarding patient safety from a regulatory compliance, reimbursement, and risk management perspective working effectively with senior management, clinical operations, and business teams to develop, market and implement pay for performance, value-based purchasing and full risk payment initiatives. She also guides clients in their efforts to maintain and optimize their patient safety practices in a manner consistent with Medicare, Medicaid, and accreditation requirements, and assists clients in strategizing and coordinating effective responses when safety concerns and reimbursement issues arise.
She continues to regularly publish and speak both locally and nationally on a myriad of health law topics.
- Developed a comprehensive integrated patient safety program for a large behavioral health care provider offering inpatient, outpatient, partial hospitalization, behavioral rehabilitation services, and residential treatment services.
- Serves as privacy compliance counsel to numerous HIPAA-covered entities and routinely assists with the investigation, assessment, documentation and report of breaches of protected health information that frequently involve individuals in multiple jurisdictions, and in concurrent investigations conducted by the Office of Civil Rights and other federal and state authorities. Works with a network of forensic experts and cyber-liability insurers to implement remediation plans to prevent similar incidents and best practices moving forward.
- Successfully defends clients in HIPAA complaints brought before the Office of Civil Rights, avoiding the imposition of fines and Resolution Agreements.
- Drafted organizational, governance, and membership agreements in the formation of one of the first Regional Health Information Networks for a large hospital system in rural Pennsylvania.
- Oversaw the development of a pilot project for a county wide pediatric medical and behavioral health integrated medical home.
- Developed HIPAA/FERPA compliant privacy plans for a number of educational institutions with student health clinics.
- Conducted a HIPAA Privacy gap assessment and oversaw the implementation of a HIPAA compliance plan for a large Pennsylvania employer’s self-insured and self-administered health plan.
- Assisted in the formation of one of the first adult integrated behavioral health and primary care medical homes in Philadelphia.
- Oversaw the development of several telemedicine behavioral health initiatives ensuring compliance with professional licensure, HIPAA, behavioral health confidentiality requirements, and Medicaid and Medicare reimbursement guidelines.
- Provided on-site risk management and patient safety services, including the drafting of risk management and patient safety and procedures, for a large Philadelphia orthopedic practice which resulted in no medical malpractice claims being filed against the practice during the two year period of providing the on-site risk management services.
- Assisted in the formation of one of the first integrated behavioral health and primary care medical homes in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Professional & Community Activities
- Associate Professor, College of Nursing, West Chester University, 1988 – 1990
- Board of Directors, White Horse Village, September 2012 – 2014
- Board of Directors, Barclay Friends, September 2009 – 2011
- Board of Trustees, Community Volunteers in Medicine, April 2002 – 2008; 2014-present; Board Chair, 2006 – 2008
- Counsel, Community Volunteers in Medicine, 2008 – present
- Editor, PHIMA Legal Reference Manual for Health Information Management in Pennsylvania, 2000
- Editorial Advisory Board, Patient Safety and Quality Healthcare Journal, May 2006 – present
- Editorial Advisory Board, ADVANCE for Nurses Publication, 1999 – present
- Adjunct Faculty, Villanova University School of Law, Lecturer in Law, 2005 – 2007
Speeches & Presentations
- "Integrating Physical and Behavioral Health for Children and Adolescents: Legal Implications for Confidentiality and Consent for Minors Under Pennsylvania Law" Pennsylvania Chapter of the American Academy Of Pediatrics’ Medical Home Initiative, April 20, 2017.
- "Hot Issues in Home Health Care Compliance Enforcement and Development an Effective Program" Pennsylvania Home Care Association, May 2, 2017.
- "Effective Compliance Programs for Behavioral Health Providers" Rehabilitation and Community Providers Association, March 2018.
- J.D., with honors, Villanova University School of Law, 1994
- Villanova Moot Court Board, Winning Team; Selected as Best Oralist, Rabbi Seymour Segal Medical/Legal Ethics National Competition, Duke University 1994
- M.S.N., magna cum laude, Nursing, Villanova University, Honors: Listed in Who's Who in American Nursing, 1988
- B.S.N., magna cum laude, Nursing, Neumann College, 1982
- Pennsylvania, 1994, Active