Renardo (Rick) Hicks
With more than thirty years of experience in the legal profession, Rick has substantial knowledge in a broad range of legal practices including litigation, education, and corporate matters. He has provided legal and consulting services to public utilities, government entities, manufacturers, for-profit and non-profit corporations, colleges and universities, and churches.
Additionally, Rick has served in a variety of roles including Regional Vice President and Regulatory Counsel for XO Communications, Inc., and Executive Deputy Attorney General and Director of the Public Protection Division within the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General. While there, he served as Chief Deputy Attorney General and Director of the Bureau of Consumer Protection, responsible for the enforcement of Pennsylvania consumer protection laws.
Rick was also a professor of law at Widener University, Temple University, and the University of Louisville School of Law. He currently teaches Continuing Legal Education (CLE) courses for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, as well as a mandatory annual Seminar on Avoiding Sexual Misconduct for ministers and lay leaders in the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church.
- Managed the entry and exit of Morris Brown College from a reorganization bankruptcy.
- Recovered more than $20 million dollars for consumers in deceptive marketing practices litigation.
- Conducted bi-annual training in Avoidance of Sexual Misconduct issues for churches of the African Methodist Episcopal Church in South Carolina and Georgia.
- Managed the legal, regulatory and external affairs functions of a competitive telephone provider in PA, DE, VA, MD, NY, NJ, MA and Washington, DC.
- Conducted and supervised trial, appellate and administrative litigation in the areas of Antitrust, Civil Rights, Charitable Trusts and Estates, and Consumer Protection.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Middle District Judicial Selection Advisory Committee
- Member, Consumer Advisory Council, Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission, 2003 - 2013
- Member, Board of Director, Pennsylvania United Way, 2004 - 2008
- Member, Pennsylvania Commission on Judicial Independence, 2005
- Instructor, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2000 - Present
Speeches & Presentations
- Seminar on Issues of Sexual Misconduct, Sixth Episcopal District, African Methodist Episcopal Church, Mid-Year Convocation, October 21, 2015
- The Pennsylvania Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Law, Keystone Bar Association, February 10, 2015
- Sexual Misconduct Policy Review, Sixth Episcopal District, African Methodist Episcopal Church, June 12, 2014
- The Bankruptcy Reorganization Plan of Morris Brown College, August 6, 2013
- Identity Theft: A Summary of Federal Statutes; Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2010
- Data Breaches: A Review of the Identity Theft Resource Center's 2008 Breach Report, Breach Stats, and Sample High Profile Breaches, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2010
- Presenting Excellence: Effective Power Point Presentations, Pennsylvania Bar Institute May, 2010
- Doctor of Humane Letters, Central Pennsylvania College, Harrisburg, PA, May, 2009
- Doctor of Humane Letters, Allen University, Columbia, South Carolina, May, 2010
- Doctor of Laws, Morris Brown College, Atlanta, Georgia, May, 2014
- Doctor of Humane Letters, Interdenominational Theological Center and Turner Theological Seminary, Atlanta, Georgia, May, 2014
- LL.M., Temple University James E. Beasley School of Law, 1985
- J.D., Northeastern University School of Law, 1983
- B.A., Government, Hamilton College, 1977
- Georgia, 2015
- Pennsylvania, 1984
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1984
- United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit, 1999
- United States District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 2003