Peter C. Hughes
Partner; Co Chair, Bankruptcy & Insolvency Group
Peter C. Hughes is a Partner in the Firm’s litigation department and represents clients with respect to bankruptcy and insolvency matters and commercial litigation. He has more than 27 years of experience and has appeared in state and federal courts around the country. Peter’s breadth of experience spans multiple industries, including healthcare, real estate, energy, hospitality, communications, retail, financial services, and other industries. He has represented parties in all phases of Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 bankruptcy proceedings, including asset sales, claims litigation, plan confirmation, assumption and rejection of leases and contracts, preference litigation, cash collateral use, valuation proceedings, relief from stay proceedings, and related matters. Peter also has represented parties in commercial litigation matters including contract disputes, successor liability litigation, fraudulent transfer litigation, and director and officer liability litigation.
He is admitted to practice in state and federal courts in Pennsylvania, Delaware, and New Jersey and is resident in the Firm’s Pennsylvania and Delaware offices.
- Represented Chapter 11 debtors in a successful reorganization through a confirmed plan in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania (In re Wordsworth Academy, et al.).
- Represented Chapter 11 museum debtor in successful reorganization through a confirmed plan in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania (In re Please Touch Museum).
- Represented Chapter 7 Trustee in bankruptcy proceedings of securities company and related entities in the District of Delaware (In re Ledgemont Capital Group, et al.).
- Represented Chapter 7 Trustee in preference matters relating to liquidation proceedings in the District of New Jersey (In re Fiber Span, Inc.)
- Represents Chapter 7 Trustee in liquidation proceedings in Bankruptcy Court in Delaware regarding aluminum extrusion company and related entities (In re IH1, Inc., et al.).
- Represented multiple claimants in relief from stay proceedings in Delaware bankruptcy cases, including EBH Topco, LLC et al. and ATI Enterprises, Inc. cases.
- Represented debtor hotel in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania; debtor’s hotel was sold during the Chapter 11 case for approximately $43 million under Plan in which creditors were paid in full (In re Field Family Associates LLC).
- Represented multiple parties adverse to providers in Pennsylvania state court litigation regarding healthcare reimbursement rates.
- Represented Chapter 11 debtor in bankruptcy proceedings in the Western District of Pennsylvania, resulting in successful sale of the Debtor’s landfill facility and a confirmed plan (In re Rustick LLC).
- Represented successful bidder in a competitive bankruptcy sale of a $23 million student housing complex in the Northern District of Ohio (In re Kiebler Slippery Rock LLC).
- Represented Malaysia satellite company in a bankruptcy sale of an orbiting satellite which ultimately sold for more than $100 million in the Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware (In re Proto Star Ltd., et al.).
- Represented parties affiliated with the debtor in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Proceedings of hotel owner in the District of New Jersey (In re Mt. Olive Hospitality LLC).
- Represented creditor in Chapter 7 bankruptcy proceedings, including successful prosecution of adversary proceeding regarding non-dischargeability of debt (In re Bell).
- Represented trustee with respect to Chapter 7 liquidation of national electronics retailer in the District of Delaware (In re Tweeter Opco, LLC).
- Represented Chapter 11 trustee and successfully confirmed Chapter 11 Plan of Liquidation providing for sale of television station over objection and competing plan filed by major unsecured creditor (In re Reading Broadcasting Inc.).
- Represented landlords in the Circuit City and General Motors bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented private equity firm with respect to state court litigation regarding liquidation of Georgia mobile home manufacturer.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference
- Member, Philadelphia Bar Association
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Board Member of CBAP, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization which coordinates voluntary attorneys who assist eligible individual debtors with Chapter 7 bankruptcy cases
- Rated AV (Preeminent) by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Has been recognized as a Leader in his field by Chambers USA – America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and as a Super Lawyer.
- J.D., with honors, The George Washington University Law School, George Washington University Law Review, Moot Court Board, 1991
- B.S., Engineering, Bucknell University, 1986
- Pennsylvania, 1991
- New Jersey, 2001
- Delaware, 2002
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court District of New Jersey
- United States District Court District of Delaware
- United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals Second Circuit