Patrick M. Northen
Co-Chief Operating Officer; Partner, Litigation Department
Patrick Northen concentrates his practice on commercial and complex civil litigation, including class actions. He represents both plaintiffs and defendants in cases involving shareholder litigation, equipment lease financing litigation, appellate litigation and prosecuting and defending other breach of contract and commercial tort cases. A skilled legal writer, Pat is frequently asked to represent clients in matters that may require extensive briefing of sophisticated legal or factual issues.
As a general commercial litigator, Pat has represented a diverse group of clients including public companies, closely held corporations, partnerships, non-profit health care institutions, government entities and individuals before a wide variety of federal and state trial and appellate courts, as well as in various alternative dispute resolution forums.
- Represented SEPTA in obtaining ruling by Pennsylvania Supreme Court that SEPTA is not subject to the City of Philadelphia's Fair Practices Ordinance.
- Represented Pennsylvania Speaker of the House and Senate President Pro Tempore in defending constitutional challenge to Commonwealth’s public education funding system.
- Defended leasing company in proposed class action relating to fraud, RICO, and consumer protection claims in connection with Power of Zero telecommunications program, resulting in successfully defending motion for class certification and obtained summary judgment against lessees on all claims and counterclaims.
- Represented shareholders in both pursuing and defending minority shareholder oppression actions.
- Represented leasing company in litigation against third-party investor arising out of syndication of equipment leases, resulting in full defense verdict following jury trial.
- Represented national financial institution in defending various fraud and lender liability actions.
- Represented former executives of public company with respect to briefing of complex constitutional and criminal law issues in federal district and appellate courts, resulting in successful appeal to en banc Third Circuit on double jeopardy claim.
- Defended group of closely-held corporations defending against alter ego and related successor liability claims in context of ERISA withdrawal liability, resulting in summary judgment in favor of all clients on $25 million and claim.
- Represented a major Philadelphia health care institution in a variety of business litigation, insurance coverage analyses, and internal investigations.
- Co-counsel and primary brief writer in litigation arising out of a series of disputes between co-trustees of a Trust owning controlling shares in public insurance company, including obtaining removal of corporate co-trustee, successfully advocating for client's preferred choice of successor corporate trustee, and obtaining an injunction requiring Company to recognize Trust's right to nominate candidates for the board of directors.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Philadelphia Bar Association
Speeches & Presentations
- September 2019: “The ‘New’ Pennsylvania Supreme Court: Reflections on the last three-plus years,” presented for Philadelphia Bar Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- May 2017: "Litigation War Stories 2," presented at Equipment Lease Finance Association Legal Forum, St. Pete Beach, Florida.
- May 2016: "Litigation War Stories," presented at Equipment Lease Finance Association Legal Forum, San Francisco, California.
- May 2015: “Friendly Fire and Family Feuds: Internecine Conflicts between and among Leasing Companies, Vendors and/or Manufacturers,” presented at Equipment Lease Finance Association Legal Forum, Nashville, Tennessee.
- May 2013: "Offense for Defense: Addressing Programmatic Failures," presented at the Equipment Leasing and Finance Association Legal Forum, Charleston, South Carolina.
- May 2011: "Millions in Defense, Not a Penny in Tribute: Defending the Commercial Fraud Case." Presented at the Equipment Lease Finance Association Legal Forum, Scottsdale, Arizona.
- November 2010: "Not One Penny in Tribute,” Legal Intelligencer CLE presentation, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- J.D., Yale Law School, 1995
- B.A., summa cum laude, State University of New York at Buffalo, Phi Beta Kappa, Pi Sigma Alpha, 1992
- Pennsylvania, 1995
- New Jersey, 1995
- United States District Court District of New Jersey, 1995
- United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit, 1996
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1997
- United States District Court Southern District of New York, 2005
- United States Court of Appeals Second Circuit, 2010