Nanda P. Kumar, J.D., Ph.D
Partner; Co-Chair, Intellectual Property
Nanda Kumar, J.D., Ph.D. practices in the area of intellectual property law and litigation with particular emphasis on patent analysis, opinions, prosecution and litigation. He provides strategic assistance for building IP assets and managing complex patent portfolios including the preparation, filing and prosecution of patent applications related to small molecule, formulations, nucleic acids, gene therapy, vaccines, protein-protein interactions, nanoparticle technology, immunotherapy and diagnostic agents. He delivers patent analysis and opinions related to inventorship, patentability, IP due diligence, infringement and validity, and freedom-to-operate reviews. Dr. Kumar also assists clients with IP and regulatory issues in the context of Orange Book listing and Hatch-Waxman Amendments to the Federal Food, Drug & Cosmetic Act.
Dr. Kumar has significant experience in supporting patent infringement litigation related to pharmaceutical, chemical and biotechnology industries. His IP and life science experience includes assisting clients with the structuring and negotiating of confidentiality agreements, license agreements, consulting and non-compete agreements, product development and commercialization agreements, supply agreements and asset purchase agreements.
Prior to entering the field of law, Dr. Kumar held senior scientist research positions in the U.S. industry and was a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at The Center for Agricultural Molecular Biology, Rutgers University; The Biotechnology Center of Indian Agricultural Research Institute; and The Tata Energy Research Institute. His scientific background focused primarily on biology, biochemistry, genetics, biotechnology and molecular biology.
Professional & Community Activities
- Contributing Author, Black’s Law Dictionary, Abridged Eighth Edition, 2005
- "Key IP Issues related to Open Innovation Collaboration," Speaker BioJapan 2007, Yokohama, Sept. 19-21, 2007.
- "Potential IP-Related Obstacles As Adult Stem Cell Therapies Progress Toward The Market," speaker and panel discussion moderator, Phacilitate Cell & Gene Therapy Forum 2007, Baltimore, Jan. 22-24, 2007.
- "Intellectual Property Rights and Due Diligence," BioAsia 2005, Hyderabad, India, Feb. 10-12, 2005.
- "Patents and Patenting Biotech Inventions in the U.S.," International Conference on Innovation & Intellectual Property Rights Strategy, Hyderabad, India, Sept. 12-13, 2002.
- "Drug Development Collaboration Agreements – Intellectual Property Considerations," BioAsia 2008, Hyderabad, India, Feb. 7-9, 2008.
- “Drug Products Based on Small Molecules and Biologics – Exclusivity Incentives,” Pharma Legal & Compliance Summit 2013, Mumbai, India, September 27, 2013.
- Recipient of "Leadership Excellence in the Law Award 2014" conferred by the Pennsylvania Diversity Council. The award recognizes attorneys in the greater Philadelphia region who have demonstrated outstanding leadership, resolve, and achievements for the benefit of their clients and communities.
- “USFDA Compliance Issues: Backup Strategy” in Keynote Session: Demystifying Compliance, Pharma Legal & Compliance Summit 2015, Mumbai, India, October 16, 2015.
- "Section 101 and its Implications on Biotechnology and Pharmaceuticals” panel session moderator, World Intellectual Property Forum, November 14-16, 2018, New Delhi.
- “Invalidity Issues Explored by Pharmaceutical Patent Type” presentation in a seminar series on WINNING U.S. PHARMACEUTICAL PATENT ACTIONS AND PTAB PROCEEDINGS by Maynard Cooper & Gale in India, February 4-8, 2019.
- J.D., Temple University James E. Beasley School of Law, 2000
- Ph.D., University of Delhi, India, 1989
- M.Sc., Andhra University, India, 1982
- New Jersey
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- All State Courts Pennsylvania
- All State Courts New Jersey
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court District of New Jersey