Matthew I. Whitehorn
Partner; Chair, Employee Benefits Group; Chair, Pro Bono Committee
Matthew I. Whitehorn is a Partner in the Firm’s Tax Group, Chair of the Employee Benefits Group, and Chair of the Pro Bono Committee, and was the 2016-2017 Chair of the IRS Advisory Committee on Tax Exempt and Government Entities (ACT). Matt works with clients on a broad range of benefits matters and has spent over 25 years focusing his practice on ERISA issues. In addition to ERISA and retirement plan fiduciary requirements, Matt regularly addresses benefits issues such as: Affordable Care Act compliance; governmental and tax-exempt employer pension and 457(b) plans; employee benefits in bankruptcy; compliance reviews of qualified retirement plans; and non-qualified deferred compensation plans and compliance with Code Section 409A and Code Section 457(f) requirements. Matt is a member of the International Foundation of Employee Benefits Plans as well as the IRS Mid-Atlantic Area Pension Liaison Group. He formerly served as the co-chair of the Philadelphia Bar Association Employee Benefits Committee and is a member of its Pension Committee. Matt is an Adjunct Law Faculty at Temple University Law School and has taught Qualified Employee Benefit Plans through its Graduate Tax Program.
- Part of acquisition counsel team involving a major local newspaper publisher.
- Part of pension counsel team for major urban municipality and suburban municipality.
- Provides retirement and health & welfare plan advice to the human resource departments of local private sector companies, tax-exempt. organizations, and governmental organizations.
- Interacted with PBGC regarding imposition of an involuntary plan termination against a financially-distressed employer.
- Negotiated a settlement with the US Department of Labor EBSA concerning fiduciary breach claims against a plan trustee.
- Effectuated various IRS and US Department of Labor plan correction approvals relating to issues such as plan loan failures, errors in automatic enrollment arrangements, late or incomplete filings of Form 5500,etc. as well as consulting on employer self-corrections.
- Negotiated settlements of multiemployer plan withdrawal liability assessments.
- Obtained relief from IRS-assessed ACA ESRP and reporting & disclosure penalties.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Legal Services to the Public Committee, Tax Section
- Member, Philadelphia Bar Association, Employee Benefits and Pension Plan Committees
- Member, American Bar Association, Tax Section - Low Income Taxpayer Committee
- Member, IRS Mid-Atlantic Area Pension Liaison Group
- Pension Subcommittee, Philadelphia VIP, Inc. (Volunteers for the Indigent Program)
- Member, IRS Advisory Committee on Tax Exempt and Government Entities (ACT), 2014 – 2017; Chair, 2017
- Adjunct Faculty Member, Temple University Beasley School of Law, Graduate Tax Program
Speeches & Presentations
- Presenter, "Information Session on Small Business Relief Programs," for Congressman Dwight Evans' virtual seminar, January 19, 2021.
- Presenter, “What Employers Need to Know,” breakfast seminar presented with other Dilworth Paxson LLP attorneys in conjunction with Univest Insurance, Inc. regarding 2018 employment law and benefits updates for employers, November 7 – 9, 2017.
- Co-presenter, What You Need to Know about ACA Reporting and Related Compliance Issues, July 21, 2015.
- Presenter, Nonqualified Deferred Compensation Plan Options for Small-and Medium-Sized Law, American Law Institute's CLE Seminar “Implementing the Best Retirement Plans for Your Attorneys: What Law Firms Should Know & Do,” May 11, 2015.
- Adjunct Faculty, Qualified Retirement Plans, Temple University School of Law Graduate Tax Program, 2015 – 2019.
- Co-presenter, Construction Accounting and Financial Reporting Seminar, Plymouth Meeting, PA, November 18, 2014.
- Instructor, Retirement Plans Boot Camp, PEBA, June 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019.
- Instructor, Multiemployer Plans, Temple University School of Law Graduate Tax Program, July 2013.
- Presenter, Greater Valley Forge Human Resource Association Workshop: “The Affordable Care Act: What Employers Need To Know and Do Now,” June 2013.
- Moderator/Presenter, ERISA Update, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, June 2015.
- Moderator/Presenter, Your Employee's "New" Family, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, April 2014.
- Moderator/Presenter, ERISA Update, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, February 2013.
- Presenter, 401K Plan Fee Regulations: From Paper to Practice, Center for Competitive Management, September 2012.
- Instructor, Tax Policy: Employee Benefits and the 2012 Election - Multiemployer Pension Plans, Temple University School of Law Graduate Tax Program, June 2012.
- Course Planner and Presenter, Fundamentals of ERISA, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, June 2012.
- Instructor, Introduction to Taxes, The Philadelphia School, Philadelphia, PA, Spring 2011.
- Presenter, Ensuring Third-Party Sick Pay Compliance, The Center for Competitive Management, August 2008 (repeated on several occasions in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012).
- Presenter, Heath Care Reform: Employer Readiness, Dilworth Paxson Client Seminar, March 2012.
- Presenter, Employer Health Plans, Fundamentals of ERISA – Mystery Solved, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, June 2010.
- Presenter, 403(b) in Turbulent Waters, NPO Cooperation Circle, September 2008.
- Presenter, Employee Benefits Update, Human Resource Information Group, January 2007.
- Author, ERISA: A Comprehensive Guide, Employee Benefits in Bankruptcy, Fall 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 Editions.
- Co-Author, Responding to PBGC Termination of Benefit Plan, Lexis Practice Advisor and LAW360, June 2019.
- Author, ERISA Sec. 4062(e): A Potential Liability for the Unwary Downsizing Pension Plan Sponsor, Corporate Business Taxation Monthly, February 2013.
- Author, ERISA Sec. 4062(e): A Potential Liability Trap for the Unwary Pension Plan Sponsor, Corporate Business Taxation Monthly, May 2012.
- Author, Section 409A of the Internal Revenue Code: Compliance Issues Update Regarding Non-Qualified Deferred Compensation, Philadelphia Bar Association Probate and Trust Law Section Newsletter, January 2007.
- Matt received the Villanova Law Alumni Association Award for Public Service in 2017.
- Philadelphia VIP, Inc. (Volunteers for the Indigent Program), Volunteer of the Month, October 2007.
- Named to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers list, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 (Employee Benefits).
- LL.M., Taxation, Temple University School of Law, 1987
- J.D., Villanova University School of Law, 1984
- B.A./M.A., History, Johns Hopkins University, 1981
- Pennsylvania, 1984
- New Jersey, 1985
- District of Columbia, 1988
- United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit, 1988
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1987
- United States Tax Court, 1986