Martin J. Weis is a partner in the firm’s Philadelphia and Wilmington offices and concentrates his practice in the areas of bankruptcy, restructuring and creditor’s rights. He has represented almost every constituency in bankruptcy cases including debtors; secured creditors; committees; trade creditors; taxing authorities; employees; officers and directors; landlords; critical vendors; leasing companies; and asset purchasers. His secured creditor representations have included traditional and non-traditional lenders in both state and federal courts.
Representative industries have included automotive; biotech; chemical; financial services; railroads; pharmaceutical; internet service provider; trucking; real estate development; and food industries.
State Court experience includes representations in trial and appellate courts in Pennsylvania and Delaware, including the Delaware Superior Court and Court of Chancery. National experience includes representing defendants in adversary proceedings; creditors in state court receiverships; and leasing companies in bankruptcy matters.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, Philadelphia Bar Association
- Member, Delaware State Bar Association (Bankruptcy Law Section)
- Member, Delaware Bankruptcy American Inn of Court
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference
- Arbitrator, Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas
- Mediator, Delaware and Eastern District of PA Bankruptcy Courts (commercial and consumer cases)
- Volunteer, Philadelphia Volunteers for the Indigent Program
- Volunteer, Delaware Volunteer Legal Services, Inc.
- Business Advisory Council, Beyond Celiac
- Selected to appear in the 2006 – 2016 editions of Chambers USA – America’ s Leading Lawyers for Business, as a Leader in his field
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers (multiple years)
- Martindale Hubbell AV rated
- J.D., cum laude, University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 1987
- B.S., summa cum laude, Accounting, Wheeling College, 1984
- United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals Seventh Circuit
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court District of Delaware
- United States District Court Central District of Illinois
- United States District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court District of Nebraska
- United States District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court Southern District of Indiana