Jennifer Platzkere Snyder
Partner; Co-Chair, Labor & Employment Group
Jennifer Platzkere Snyder represents employers in all aspects of labor and employment law, with clients ranging from entrepreneurial start-ups to the Fortune 500, as well as municipal governments and not-for-profit organizations.
One of the youngest Fellows ever elected to the prestigious College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, Jennifer recently concluded a two-year term as Employer Co-Chair of the American Bar Association’s Committee on Practice and Procedure under the National Labor Relations Act – one of only two women to hold that position in over 40 years.
Jennifer’s practice touches on all manner of workplace disputes arising under Federal, state and local laws, including:
- Employment Litigation: Defends companies against claims about sexual harassment, race, age and gender discrimination, disability leaves and accommodation issues, religious practices protection, wage and hour compliance (including class and collective actions) and retaliation, handling cases from administrative phase through to jury trial, providing strategic advice and aggressively litigating where necessary while always exploring opportunities for appropriate resolution;
- Traditional Labor-Management Relations: Represents employers in their relations with unions, including overseeing employer’s response to union organizing activities, serving as chief spokesperson in collective bargaining negotiations, advising employers on the handling of grievances, avoiding or regulating strike activity, and litigating discharge and contract disputes in arbitration and before the NLRB or state agencies;
- Trade Secret Protection: Represents employers and executives in claims arising out of employee movement by working to protect companies’ most valuable confidential information and stopping competitors from unfairly using it, while also defending against overbroad restraints of trade; and
- HR Counseling/Investigations: Advises companies on smart workplace practices, creates policies for the 21st century workplace, conducts internal investigations, and trains managers and professional groups avoiding legal risks related to HR and statutory compliance.
- Successfully argued case of first impression before the New Jersey Supreme Court regarding the alleged wrongful termination of a whistleblower.
- Obtained summary judgment as to all claims by police officer against current employer for pregnancy discrimination, sexual harassment and retaliation.
- Obtained summary judgment as to employee’s claims of same-sex harassment, age discrimination, workers’ compensation retaliation and related Constitutional, tort and contract claims against former employer and former supervisor.
- Secured a complete defense verdict at federal jury trial of a staff physician’s $1 million age and sex discrimination claims against a hospital.
- Secured multiple findings of contempt against two former employees of medical device manufacturer who violated court-enforced restrictive covenants.
- Precluded the certification of a nationwide class action against a Fortune 50 telecommunications company asserting race discrimination.
- Represented public employers in interest arbitration proceedings pursuant to Pennsylvania’s Act 111 and Act 195 involving units of police, fire and/or court-appointed employees following unsuccessful collective bargaining negotiations.
- Negotiated unique collective bargaining agreement for international theatrical producer’s children’s touring show, which became the industry standard.
- Defended hotels, stadiums, and building owners against claims of discrimination in public accommodations under Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Professional & Community Activities
- Board of Directors, Forum of Executive Women
- Board of Directors, Beyond Celiac
- Fellow, College of Labor & Employment Lawyers
- Member, American Employer Law Council
- National Board of Alumnae, The Baldwin School
- Editorial Board, Philadelphia Lawyer Magazine (Editor-In Chief, 2016-17)
- Investigator, Philadelphia Bar Association, Commission on Judicial Selection and Retention
- Chapter Editor, BNA Books, How to Take a Case Before the NLRB
Speeches & Presentations
- "Business Divorce: Protecting Business Assets with Restrictive Covenants," Pennsylvania Bar Institute Webcast, Wednesday, December 1, 2021.
- "COVID-19 Vaccination Webinar – What You Need to Know Now," General Building Contractors Association Webinar, Tuesday, April 6, 2021.
- “Recent Developments in Labor and Employment Arbitration,” American Bar Association’s ADR in Labor & Employment Committee Midwinter Meeting, February 11, 2021.
- "Meet the National Labor Relations Board panel," 13th Annual ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law Conference, Thursday, November 7, 2019.
- "Digital Forensics and Employment Law: Trends, Legal Standards and Ethical Obligations," Pennsylvania Bar Institute, November 15, 2017.
- "Business Divorce: Startup to Litigation to Resolution," Pennsylvania Bar Institute, November 8, 2017.
- "A Day on Contracts," Pennsylvania Bar Institute, July 13, 2017.
- "Ethical Issues in Employment Law," Pennsylvania Bar Institute's 23rd Annual Employment Law Institute, April 28, 2017.
- "The Forensic Fruits of a Labor (& Employment) Client," Philadelphia Bar Association, April 5, 2017.
- "Current Developments in Labor & Employment Arbitration," Midwinter Meeting of the American Bar Association's Committee on ADR in Labor and Employment Law, January 2017.
- "NLRB's New Standard for Establishing Joint-Employer Status after Browning-Ferris and Miller & Anderson," Strafford legal webinar, October 2016.
- "Effective Strategies for Resolving Restrictive Covenant Disputes," Pennsylvania Bar Institute's 22nd Annual Employment Conference, April 2016.
- "Social Media & Healthcare - The Recommended Dosage for Employers, Patient Advocates, and Healthcare Professionals," Pennsylvania Bar Institute's 21st Annual Health Law Conference, March 2016.
- “What Is Protected? Important Issues in Protected Concerted Activity Cases,” Panelist, ABA 9th Annual Section of Labor & Employment Conference, November 6 & 7, 2015.
- "2015 Retrospective and Recent Developments in HR Law: Federal," Philadelphia SHRM webinar, October 16, 2015.
- "NLRB's New Standard for Establishing Joint-Employer Status After Browning-Ferris," Strafford legal webinar, October 8, 2015.
- "Protecting Business Assets, With or Without Restrictive Covenants," Pennsylvania Bar Institute, August 2015.
- "How to Effectively Manage FMLA Intermittent Leave," Pennsylvania Bar Institute's 21st Annual Employment Law Conference, April 2015.
- "Legal Trends for the Business Leader - What You Need to Know about the NLRB," Philly SHRM Conference, April 2, 2015.
- "Practical Ways to Administer FMLA Intermittent Leave and Manage Litigation Risk," Pennsylvania Bar Institute's 20th Annual Employment Law Institute, April 2014.
- "Applying the Act to the Non-Union World," Presenter, ABA's Committee on Practice & Procedure Under the NLRA, Midwinter Meeting, February 2014.
- "Education Law Issues Before the NLRB," ABA Labor and Employment Law 7th Annual Section Conference, November 2013.
- "Advancing your Program with Policy and Procedure," Delaware Valley Association of Volunteer Administrators, May 2013.
- "The Employee Who is Absent (A Lot!) - How to Effectively Manage FMLA Intermittent Leave," PBI Employment Law Institute's 19th Annual Employment Law Institute, April 2013.
- "Protecting Business Assets through Restrictive Covenants," PBI Business Divorce & Shareholder Relations Program, March 2013.
- "Updating Employee Manuals: Doing it Right," ALI-ABA video webinar, April 2012.
- "Intermittent Leave under the FMLA," Pennsylvania Bar Institute's 18th Annual Employment Law Institute, April 2012.
- "Reducing the Risk of Wage & Hour Litigation," ALM In-House Counsel Labor & Employment Forum, March 2012.
- "The New 'Appropriate' for Bargaining Unit Determinations: The Employer's Perspective on Specialty Healthcare and its Progeny," Midwinter Meeting of the American Bar Association Committee on Practice & Procedure under the NLRA, March 2012.
- “Is this a Good Decision? How the Recent Mechanics’ Lien Change Impacts Contractors,” General Building Contractors' Association, February 2012.
- "Lost In MySpace Part 2 - Blogs, Unions and Tweeting - Oh, My!" The Southeastern Pennsylvania Chapter of the Society for Human Resource Management, February 2012.
- "Restrictive Covenants, Trade Secrets and Computer Forensics - What Every Lawyer Should Know" Pennsylvania Bar Institute, December 2011.
- "Lost in MySpace - Legal Pitfalls in the Electronic Workplace," The Southeastern Pennsylvania Chapter of the Society for Human Resource Management, December 2011.
- "Trying an NLRB Representation Case - Pre-trial Process, Procedure and Insights," ABA Section of Labor & Employment, 5th Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference, November 2011.
- "Social Media and Union Organizing," Delaware County Bar Association Corporate Counsel Committee, September 2011.
- "Social Media and the Workplace," Pennsylvania Bar Institute, August 2011.
- "Real World Issues in Telecommuting and Flexible Scheduling," Pennsylvania Bar Institute's 17th Annual Employment Law Institute, April 2011.
- "Protecting Business Assets Using Restrictive Covenants," Pennsylvania Bar Institute, March 2011.
- "Changing the Game of Employee Health Risk Management: Strategies for 2011 and Beyond," Wellnow, February 2011.
- "Social Media and the Workplace," Pennsylvania Bar Institute, February 2011.
- "Risk Management for Volunteer Administrators," Delaware Valley Association of Volunteer Administrators, January 2011.
- "Reducing Costs in Labor Arbitration," American Arbitration Association, November 2010.
- “Lost in My Space - Legal Pitfalls In The Electronic Workplace,” Delaware Valley Human Resources Partnership Summit, October 2010.
- "The Social Networking Profile: A New World of Evidence - How 'Being Friends' Has Impacted the Investigative and Legal Landscape," BDO Consulting webinar, October 2010.
- “Lost in My Space - Legal Pitfalls In The Electronic Workplace,” Philadelphia Society of Human Resources Management, May 2010.
- “Improving the Administration of the NLRA Without Statutory Change,” Midwinter Meeting of the American Bar Association Committee on the Practice & Procedure under the NLRA, March 2010.
- “The Magic of Advocacy,” Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association, February 2010.
- “Protecting Business Assets with Restrictive Covenants,” part of the Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s “Business Divorce” CLE seminar, December 2008.
- “Update on Remedies from the NLRB,” Midwinter Meeting of the American Bar Association Committee on the Practice & Procedure under the NLRA, March 2008.
- "Electronic Remedies and Other Electronic Issues under the NLRA," Section Teleconference, November 2007.
- "Electronic Remedies and Other Electronic Issues under the NLRA," Midwinter Meeting of the American Bar Association Committee on the Practice & Procedure under the NLRA, March 2007.
- "Preparing for the Electronic Age - NLRB Filings, Decisions and Information," Midwinter Meeting of the American Bar Association Committee on the Practice & Procedure under the NLRA, February 2005.
- "Hot Topics in Practice & Procedure before the NLRB," American Bar Association Annual Meeting, August 2003.
- "Basics of Labor Law," American Bar Association Annual Meeting, August 2002.
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Litigation - Labor and Employment, 2022.
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Magazine- Super Lawyer, 2015-2020.
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Magazine- Rising Star, 2011.
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow.
- The Baldwin School, Distinguished Young Alumnae Award.
- The Legal Intelligencer / Pennsylvania Law Weekly, 50 on the Fast Track.
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review, Rated AV Preeminent.
Further information on methodologies is available via these links.
- J.D., Villanova University School of Law, 1995
- B.S., cum laude, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School of Business, 1992
- National Theatre Institute, 1990
- Pennsylvania, 1995
- New Jersey, 1995
- New York, 2002
- United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court District of New Jersey
- United States District Court Southern District of New York
- United States District Court Eastern District of New York