James M. Matour
Partner; Co-Chair, Bankruptcy & Insolvency Group
James Matour concentrates his practice in corporate reorganization, bankruptcy, and commercial workouts, and has more than 30 years of experience representing debtors, creditors, and other parties in bankruptcy cases. He also has extensive experience handling corporate transactions and business litigation. Jim is listed in both Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, and in Best Lawyers in America.
Jim is a founding Director of the Consumer Bankruptcy Assistance Project, a former contributing editor of The Bankruptcy Strategist, and a member of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference, the American Bankruptcy Institute, and the Turnaround Management Association. Jim is a frequent lecturer at attorney and judicial conferences on corporate reorganization and distressed business acquisitions. He is an Adjunct Professor in the MBA Program of Lehigh University.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Philadelphia Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
- Health Care Insolvency Committee, American Bankruptcy Institute, 1995 – Present
- Contributing Editor, The Bankruptcy Strategist, 1985 – 2000
- Board of Directors, Consumer Bankruptcy Assistance Project, 1994 – Present
- Member, Union League of Philadelphia, 1994 – Present
- Board of Trustees, Abraham Lincoln Foundation
- Board of Trustees Treasurer, Philadelphia Youth Orchestra
- Board of Directors, Treasurer, Philly Pops
- Adjunct Professor, Lehigh University M.B.A Program 2012 – Present
Speeches & Presentations
- “Turnarounds and Bankruptcy,” Lehigh University College of Business and Economics, 2012.
- "Successful Workouts," Reed Seminars Video, 2009.
- "Representing Directors and Officers," Bench-Bar Conference, 2009.
- "Fundamentals of Chapter 11," Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2008.
- "Chapter 11 Issues," Pennsylvania Judicial Conference, 2007.
- "Asset Protection," Philadelphia Bar Association, 2007.
- Named a Leader in Bankruptcy/Restructuring by Chambers USA – America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2006 – 2015.
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2007 – 2016.
- Named by Pennsylvania Super Lawyers magazine as a top attorney in Bankruptcy Law (2004-2015) as the result of a statewide poll of lawyers.
- Delaware Journal of Corporate Law, 1978 – 1980.
- J.D., cum laude, Widener University School of Law, 1980
- B.A., LaSalle University, 1976
- United States Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania