James J. Rodgers
Partner; Chair, Antitrust Group; Chair, Ethics Committee
James Rodgers has counseled clients and tried cases to courts and juries in the field of antitrust law for over 30 years. He has been recognized by Chambers USA as a leading practitioner in the area, and has litigated for defendants in individual and class actions and for plaintiffs, including opt-out plaintiffs in major international cartel cases. He also has worked extensively in the interface between intellectual property and antitrust law. He is a former Chair of the Antitrust Committee of the Philadelphia Bar Association.
- Co-counsel for two defendants in In Re: Plastics Additives Antitrust Litigation, MDL No. 1684 (E.D. Pa.)
- Counsel for a group of putative opt out plaintiffs and settlement objectors in the Oriented Strand Board Antitrust Litigation.
- Counsel for a national home builder as a defendant in Just New Homes v. Beazer Homes, et al., a suit by an Internet real estate broker against realtors and developers charging a conspiracy. A preliminary injunction was denied, summary judgment was granted for the defendants, and affirmed in a non-precedential opinion by the Third Circuit.
- Counsel for a member firm of the Philadelphia Stock Exchange as a defendant in In re: Stock Exchange Options Trading Antitrust Litigation, 317 F.3d 134 (2d Cir. 2003)
- Co-Counsel for major corporations as opt-out plaintiffs In re: Linerboard Antitrust Litigation, and In re: Graphite Electrodes Antitrust Litigation, in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Completed Hart-Scott-Rodino filing for a major energy company’s divestment of a retail home heating division in 2009.
- Represented creditor securing dismissal of Chapter 11 bankruptcy case for bad faith filing in order to avoid an antitrust trial In re: SGL Carbon Corp, 200 F.3d 154 (3d Cir. 2001)
Professional & Community Activities
- Leader, Fordham University Club of the Delaware Valley, 1999 – present
- Vice President of the Fordham College Alumni Association, 2006 – 2010
- Chair, Philadelphia Bar Association, Antitrust Committee, 1996 – 1998
- President, Crescent Boat Club of Philadelphia, 2021-present
Speeches & Presentations
- Co-presenter, Ethical Issues in Mergers and Acquisitions: Problems Facing In-House Counsel, DELVACCA's Corporate and Securities CLE Institute, Philadelphia, PA, September 4, 2014.
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Litigation - Antitrust, 2008 – 2022.
- Appeared in the 2006 – 2009 editions of Chambers USA - America's Leading Lawyers for Business, as a Leader in his field.
- Chair, Antitrust Committee of the Philadelphia Bar Association, 1996 – 1998.
- Lecturer, Continuing Legal Education programs, Pennsylvania Bar Institute and Philadelphia Bar Association.
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2005 – 2020.
Further information on methodologies is available via these links.
- J.D., cum laude, University of Michigan Law School, 1975
- B.A., Fordham University, 1972
- Pennsylvania, 1975
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1975
- United States District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1996
- United States Court of Appeals Second Circuit, 2001
- United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit, 1976
- United States Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1988
- United States Supreme Court, 1982
- United States District Court District of Colorado, 2012