Gerry Wixted represents insurance companies and corporations in a wide range of civil litigation matters, including the scope of liability insurance coverage, reinsurance, and products liability defense. He also handles emergency guardianship and civil commitment matters for health care providers. Gerry has represented trustees in several large trust and estate cases.
- Successfully argued the standard for determining “employee” from “independent contractor” before the New Jersey Supreme Court. Kotsovska v. Liebman, 221 N.J. 568 (2015).
- Successfully argued that “expected or intended” insurance exclusion bars coverage for workplace “intentional wrong” tort claims. Johnson v. Plasser Corp., 2014 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 372 (App. Div. 2014).
- Represented large insurer in contribution action in federal court against other insurers for coverage of national auto parts supplier in high exposure tort case.
- Represented large insurer in federal court regarding scope of liability coverage for national trucking company for claims arising in 38 states.
- Successfully defended Hartford against coverage and bad faith claims arising out of railroad maintenance crew accident.
- Defended large insurer in six week London Market arbitration trial regarding insurance coverage for large pharmaceutical company in nationwide product liability lawsuits.
- Successfully defended TTS Marine AS, a maritime crane manufacturer, in several bodily injury suits in federal court.
- Successfully represented the University Medical Center of Princeton in several contested guardianship matters.
- Defended Malaytex/Cranberry as national trial counsel in latex glove product liability litigation.
Professional & Community Activities
- Referee, Burlington County Youth Swimming Championships, 2008-present
- League Representative, Tri-County Youth Swimming League, 2005-present
- President, Tri-County Youth Swimming League, 2009-2012
Speeches & Presentations
- "Unnamed But Insured (Maybe): Indemnity, Additional Insureds, and Other Insurance in New Jersey and Pennsylvania", NJ CLE 2016
- "Contested Guardianship in New Jersey", NJ CLE 2015
- "The Insurer’s Duty to Defend in New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania", Hartford, Connecticut, 2012
- J.D., Rutgers School of Law - Camden, 1988
- M.A., Lehigh University, 1985
- B.A., LaSalle University, 1983
- New Jersey, 1988
- Pennsylvania, 1988
- New York, 2014