Eric B. Meyer
Partner; Chair, #SocialMedia Practice Group; Co-Chair, Pro Bono Committee
You know that scientist in the action movie who has all the right answers, if only the government would just pay attention?
If you want a nerdy employment-lawyer brain to help you solve HR-compliance issues proactively before the action sequence, look no further than Eric B. Meyer. Based in Philadelphia, PA, but serving clients across the country, Eric is a member of the Labor & Employment Practice Group and Chair of the #SocialMedia Practice Group.
Eric also publishes The Employer Handbook (www.TheEmployerHandbook.com), which the ABA Journal recognizes as a top labor and employment law blog. In addition to being a frequent lecturer around the country, among other outlets, Meyer has been quoted in ABCNews.com, NBCSports.com, AMEX's Small Business Open Forum, Inc. Magazine, Business Insurance, Entrepreneur, Mashable.com, The Wall Street Journal, and the British tabloids. Eric also serves as a volunteer mediator for the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Although he has yet to save the entire world, Eric is content with helping his clients succeed.
- Obtained the first defense verdict in over a decade (in an employment case, or otherwise) from a federal civil jury sitting in Easton, PA.
- Co-authored the brief filed in the United States Court of Appeals for The Fourth Circuit in which the appellate court affirmed the District Court’s entry of summary judgment in favor of a large trucking company on claims of reverse gender discrimination, religious discrimination, and retaliation.
- Secured an injunction on behalf of a manufacturer against a former employee who sought to violate his employment agreement by competing with the manufacturer.
- Got voluntary dismissal of all discrimination/retaliation claims against a large Philadelphia hospital.
- Received for a client in a commercial-lease dispute, one of the top 50 judgments in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 2006.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Philadelphia Bar Association
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Treasurer, Pennsylvania Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section Council
- Member, New Jersey Bar Association
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, Wolter's Kluwer Employment Law Daily Advisory Board
Speeches & Presentations
- November 7, 2015: Panelist, “Ethically “Blawging” Your Way to Success,” ABA 9th Annual Section of Labor & Employment Conference (Philadelphia, PA)
- July 28, 2015: Presentation on the ADA at the EEOC's Training Institute Seminar (Philadelphia, PA)
- June 30, 2015: "My Employees Can Miss HOW MUCH Work?!? Managing Leave Challenges Under the FMLA and ADA," Society for Human Resource Management's Annual Conference (Las Vegas, NV)
- April 21, 2015: DMEC FMLA/ADAAA Employer Compliance Conference (Washington, DC)
- April 19, 2015: PBI 21st Annual Employment Law Institute (Philadelphia, PA)
- April 16, 2015: German and American Employment Practices: A Comparative View to Immigration and Employee-Employer Relationship Matters (Philadelphia, PA)
- April 1-2, 2015: NJ Licensed Private Investigator’s Conference (East Windsor, NJ)
- December 2, 2014: "What's Hot at the EEOC," Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry (Philadelphia, PA)
- December 3, 2014: "Employment Law: Essentials and Best Practices," ALI CLE (Webinar)
- November 13, 2014: Association of Legal Administrators (Philadelphia, PA)
- November 12, 2014: Social Media @ Work (Philadelphia, PA)
- October 27 & 28, 2014: SHRM Lehigh Valley - October Conference (Bethlehem, PA)
- September 17, 2014: Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce (Philadelphia, PA)
- August 28, 2014: PBI: "Social Media: Do Employers "Like " What Their Employees Are Doing Online?" (Philadelphia, PA)
- August 19, 2014: TLNT.com (Webinar)
- August 12, 2014: EEOC EXCEL Conference 2014 (San Diego, CO)
- August 5, 2014: Bloomberg BNA (Webinar)
- July 15, 2014: Mid-Atlantic Employer's Association (King of Prussia, PA)
- June 24 & 25, 2014: SHRM 2014 Annual Conference and Expo (Orlando, FL)
- May 28, 2014: Welcome to Your New Job: Ethical Issues in Employee Exits (Philadelphia, PA)
- April 16, 2014: Association of American Colleges and Universities Employer-Educator Forum (Philadelphia, PA)
- February 20, 2014: The Legal Intelligencer Labor & Employment Roundtable (Philadelphia, PA)
- J.D., The George Washington University Law School, 2001
- B.A., cum laude, Economics, University of Pennsylvania, 1998
- Pennsylvania, 2001
- District of Columbia, 2003
- New Jersey, 2001
- United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit, 2001
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 2001
- United States District Court District of Columbia, 2003
- United States District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 2007