Darwin R. Beauvais concentrates his practice in zoning and land use as well as local government affairs. In his practice, he works closely with elected officials and municipal agencies for the benefit of his clients. In addition, he is one of the few attorneys in the region who is certified by the U.S. Green Building Council as a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional (LEED® AP). This designation qualifies him as having a thorough understanding of green building practices and principles.
- Received approvals for phase I of a multibillion dollar development deal redefining several acres within Philadelphia for a mixed use development project including successful negotiation of the developer’s multimillion dollar community benefits agreement.
- Obtained entitlements for a nationwide REIT through legislative amendments of the local Zoning Code.
- Represented the region's leading cancer research center in obtaining legislative approval to expand with restrictive city-owned parkland.
- Represented developers who build affordable housing through the use of low-income tax credits.
- Represented commercial and retail banks expanding throughout the City of Philadelphia.
- Assisted a national real estate investment trust in getting entitlements for a multi-story high rise in Center City.
- Represented a local development company in the acquisition, development and financing of 20 parcels for a low-income tax credit project using funds awarded by the state's PA Housing Finance Agency.
- Assisted a local development company in the redevelopment of a historic property into a hotel and entertainment venue in North Philadelphia financed partially with a multi-million dollar grant through the state's Redevelopment Capital Assistance Program.
- Represented a large Philadelphia provider of behavioral health services with respect to back taxes owed to the Commonwealth. The result: a quarter of the debt was forgiven; the balance is to be paid over five years; and the organization can continue to serve over 6,000 clients annually with services ranging from drug and alcohol counseling to adult and children’s mental health services, regardless of income.
- Represented a local community development corporation in the leasing and management of a shopping center in North Philadelphia.
Professional & Community Activities
- Board Member, Visit Philadelphia
- Member, Philadelphia Bar Association Real Property Section
- Member, Philadelphia Bar Association
- Member, Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
- Former Board Member, Philadelphia Commercial Development Corporation
- Former Board Member, The Free Library of Philadelphia
- Former Board Member, Philadelphia Ronald McDonald House
- Former Board Member, Zoning Code Commission
Speeches & Presentations
- Speaker, Understanding Philadelphia Zoning & Understanding the Zoning Code in an Ever Changing Zoning World, 2015
- Speaker, Historic Preservation, PA Bar Institute, September 2013
- Speaker, What Landlords & Tenants Need to Know about the Philadelphia Lead Paint Disclosure Law, 2013
- Speaker, Disasters in Residential Closings, PA Bar Association, November 2013
- Speaker, “Zoning Code for the 21st Century,” September 2012
- Speaker, "The Green Economy: Real Estate Law Update for Businesses," CLE Program, Barristers' Association of Philadelphia, January 2011
- "Update on the Philadelphia Zoning Code Commission," The Legal Intelligencer, January 25, 2010
- Super Lawyer, 2016, 2017, and 2018
- Philadelphia Business Journal “Best of the Bar”, 2017
- Philadelphia Business Journal “Minority Business Leader Award”, 2014
- 2012 National Diversity Council’s Multicultural Leadership Award, 2012
News / Events
- J.D., Seton Hall University School of Law, 1992
- B.A., Rutgers College - New Brunswick, 1989