Anne Marie Aaronson
Anne Aaronson’s practice focuses on bankruptcy and reorganization as well as out-of-court workouts and providing true sale and non-consolidation opinions to clients involved in certain financial transactions. She has represented for-profit and not-for-profit Chapter 11 debtors. Anne also represents Chapter 7 trustees in various bankruptcy cases. Her experience includes representing secured and unsecured creditors and creditor committees in large and midsize bankruptcy cases.
Anne’s also represents tax lien holders in connection with the enforcement of tax liens, including proceeding through a sheriff’s sale of the affected properties. She also defends officers and directors who are subject to claims for breach of fiduciary duty and violation of federal and state wage and hour laws.
- Represents several large non-profit organizations reorganizing in Chapter 11, including a nationally renowned orchestra, a Historically Black College (HBCU), a Children’s Behavioral Treatment Center and School, and a Mental Health and Addiction treatment Center.
- Represented one of the nation’s largest newspapers in its Chapter 11 reorganization.
- Represented a for-profit behavioral health facility in its Chapter 11 reorganization.
- Regularly represents an international manufacturer of electromechanical devices in various airline, photographic, and other chapter 11 cases.
- Regularly represents a Credit Union in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 cases.
- Regularly represents an investor in the acquisition and enforcement of municipal tax liens.
- Represents former directors of a large telecommunications business defending several complex lawsuits involving federal and state wage and hours laws, and other claims.
- Represented consortium of senior secured lenders in Chapter 11 reorganization of regional insurance agency as well as related state court proceedings involving affiliated entities in Pennsylvania and Kansas.
- Represents a Dental Management Facility in its Chapter 11 reorganization.
Professional & Community Activities
- Board of Directors, Consumer Bankruptcy Assistance Project, 2012 to present
- Executive Committee, Business Law Section, Philadelphia Bar Association, 2011 to present
- Chair, Bankruptcy Committee, Philadelphia Bar Association, 2009 to 2011; Vice-Chair, 2007 and 2008
- Member of the Steering Committee, Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference, 2017
- Member and Education Committee, Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference, 2006 to present; Member since 2001
- Volunteer Attorney, Support Center for Child Advocates, 2002 to present
- Volunteer Attorney, Consumer Bankruptcy Assistance Project, 2002 to present
- Regular Author and Panelist for the Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Institute. Program facilitator 2015 and 2016.
Speeches & Presentations
- Panelist, 20th Annual Bankruptcy Institute, Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Institute, "Closing the Case – What Happens and How Does Your Client Emerge?", October 29, 2015
- Panelist, “Charities in Distress, Bankruptcy and Impact on Restricted Gifts,” 2015 Mid-Atlantic Regional Meeting of The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, September 12, 2015
- Panelist, "Taxes and Bankruptcy – Prepetition Strategies and Post-Petition Consequences," PBI 19th Annual Bankruptcy Institute, October 30, 2014
- Panelist, 16th Annual Bankruptcy Institute, “Chapter 11 Plan Confirmations for the Sophisticated Commercial Bankruptcy Counsel," October 2011
- Panelist, "PA Act 47 and Chapter 9 of the Bankruptcy Code— A Comparison of Tools to Respond to Municipal Credit Distress" Webinar, June 30, 2011
- Panelist, Mid-Atlantic Bankruptcy Workshop, August 4-6, 2011
- Author, “The Changing Tide of Bankruptcy; Pleading Standards in the Third Circuit," New Jersey Law Journal, January 2011
- Panelist, Strafford Legal Teleconference, “Executory Contracts in Bankruptcy: Resolving Legal Ambiguities”, March 10, 2009
- Selected to appear in the 2011-2017 editions of Chambers USA – America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, as a Leader in her field
- "Distinguished Advocate for Children" Award Recipient, Support Center for Child Advocates, 2011
- First Judicial District, Pro Bono Roll of Honor 2007 - 2017
- J.D., with honors, Rutgers School of Law - Camden, 1998
- B.S., cum laude, Criminal Justice, Minor in Geography, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, 1987
- Pennsylvania, 1998
- New Jersey, 1998
- United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit, 2010
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit, 2002
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1998
- United States District Court Federal District New Jersey, 1998
- United States District Court Eastern District of New York, 2005
- United States District Court Southern District of New York, 2005