Anne Marie Aaronson
Anne Aaronson’s practice focuses on business litigation, including bankruptcy and reorganization, out-of-court workouts, contract and corporate governance disputes, and providing true sale and non-consolidation opinions to clients involved in certain financial transactions. Anne also represents tax lien holders in connection with the enforcement of municipal tax liens, including through the sheriff’s sale of the affected properties.
- Regularly represents an international manufacturer of electromechanical devices in various airline, photographic, and other Chapter 11 cases.
- Regularly represents a Credit Union in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 cases.
- Regularly represents an investor in the acquisition and enforcement of municipal tax liens.
- Represented former directors of a large telecommunications business defending several complex lawsuits involving federal and state wage and hours laws, and other claims.
- Represented several large non-profit organizations reorganizing in Chapter 11, including a nationally renowned Orchestra, a Historically Black College (HBCU), a Children’s Behavioral Treatment Center and School, and a Mental Health and Addiction Treatment Center.
- Represented one of the nation’s largest newspapers in its Chapter 11 reorganization.
- Represented a for-profit behavioral health facility in its Chapter 11 reorganization.
Professional & Community Activities
- Judge Pro Tempore for the Commerce Court in Philadelphia, 2018–present
- Board of Directors, Consumer Bankruptcy Assistance Project, 2012–present, President Elect 2018, and 2019; President 2020 and 2021
- Executive Committee, Business Law Section, Philadelphia Bar Association, 2011–2018, Secretary and Treasurer
- Chair, Bankruptcy Committee, Philadelphia Bar Association, 2009–2011; Vice–Chair, 2007 and 2008
- Member of the Steering Committee, Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference, 2017–present
- Volunteer Attorney, Support Center for Child Advocates, 2002–present
- Volunteer Attorney, Consumer Bankruptcy Assistance Project, 2002–present
- Member of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference, 2001–present
Speeches & Presentations
- Panelist, Bankruptcy Institute 2021, Commercial Bankruptcy, Healthcare in the Aftermath of the Pandemic, October 1, 2021.
- Author, with Practical Law Bankruptcy, “Local Bankruptcy Rules: Pennsylvania (E.D. Pa.),” Practice Note w-004-8627, maintained by Practical Law and available on Westlaw.
- Panelist and Author, 23rd Annual Bankruptcy Institute, Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Institute, "Article 9 and Consignments", October 24, 2018.
- Author, "Keeping Consigned Merchandise Out of the Hands of a Consignee's Creditors," ABI Journal, December 1, 2017.
- Panelist and Author, 22nd Annual Bankruptcy Institute, Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Institute, "Is Your Chapter 11 Sale Really 'Free and Clear'?", October 16, 2017.
- Panelist and Author, 21st Annual Bankruptcy Institute, Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Institute, "What Every Chapter 11 Practitioner Needs to Know about Labor and Employment Law," October 20, 2016.
- Panelist and Author, 20th Annual Bankruptcy Institute, Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Institute, "Closing the Case – What Happens and How Does Your Client Emerge?", October 29, 2015.
- Panelist, “Charities in Distress, Bankruptcy and Impact on Restricted Gifts,” 2015 Mid-Atlantic Regional Meeting of The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, September 12, 2015.
- Panelist, "Taxes and Bankruptcy – Prepetition Strategies and Post-Petition Consequences," PBI 19th Annual Bankruptcy Institute, October 30, 2014.
- Panelist, 16th Annual Bankruptcy Institute, “Chapter 11 Plan Confirmations for the Sophisticated Commercial Bankruptcy Counsel," October 2011.
- Panelist, "PA Act 47 and Chapter 9 of the Bankruptcy Code— A Comparison of Tools to Respond to Municipal Credit Distress" Webinar, June 30, 2011.
- Author, "The Change Tide of Bankruptcy: Pleading Standards in the Third Circuit," New Jersey Law Journal, January 19, 2011.
- Panelist, Strafford Legal Teleconference, “Executory Contracts in Bankruptcy: Resolving Legal Ambiguities”, March 10, 2009.
- Listed in Lawdragon 500 Leading U.S. Bankruptcy & Restructuring Lawyer, 2020
- Listed in Chambers USA–America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, as a Leader in her field, 2011–2019
- First Judicial District, Pro Bono Roll of Honor, 2007–2019
- "Distinguished Advocate for Children" Award Recipient, Support Center for Child Advocates, 2011
Further information on methodologies is available via these links.
- J.D., with honors, Rutgers School of Law - Camden, 1998
- B.S., cum laude, Criminal Justice, Minor in Geography, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, 1987
- Pennsylvania, 1998
- New Jersey, 1998
- United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit, 2010
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit, 2002
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1998
- United States District Court Federal District New Jersey, 1998
- United States District Court Eastern District of New York, 2005
- United States District Court Southern District of New York, 2005