Eric B. Meyer
Partner, Co-Chair, Pro Bono Committee
Eric Meyer focuses his practice on employment discrimination and retaliation; workplace harassment; employee pay practices; leaves of absence, disabilities and reasonable accommodations; non-competition and trade secret disputes; employment contracts, reductions in force, severance arrangements and other contractual matters; and union-management relations and collective bargaining. Eric also serves as a volunteer mediator for the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commissions and an arbitrator in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
Additionally, Eric is very active in social media. Recently, Eric co-authored Think Before You Click: Strategies for Managing Social Media in the Workplace, a book which walks HR professionals through everything they need to know about social media in the workplace. He also publishes The Employer Handbook, the labor-and-employment-law blog for businesses and has a large following on Twitter. He has been quoted in Business Insurance, ABCNews.com, AMEX’s Small Business Open Forum, Entrepreneur, Wall Street Journal, ABA Journal, and Mashable.com.
- Co-authored a brief filed in the United States Court of Appeals for The Fourth Circuit in which the appellate court affirmed the District Court’s entry of summary judgment in favor of a large trucking company on claims of reverse gender discrimination, religious discrimination, and retaliation.
- Successfully defended a printing and graphic design company against claims of race discrimination.
- Performed anti-harassment training for the First Judicial District of Pennsylvania.
- Represented a large area cigar company in defense of sexual harassment claims.
- Pursued and obtained an injunction on behalf of a manufacturer of corrugated boxes against a former employee.
- Represented a large staffing company in defending against claims of trade secret theft and tortious interference with contractor relations.
- Secured a voluntary dismissal of all discrimination/retaliation claims against a large Philadelphia hospital.
- Obtained one of the top 50 judgments in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 2006.
- Defended a large food manufacturer against claims that the company had violated the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA).
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Philadelphia Bar Association
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, New Jersey Bar Association
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
Speeches & Presentations
- Presented “Practical Advice for Meeting the Regulatory Challenges of the ADA and the FMLA” on April 17, 2013. The Pennsylvania Bar Institute's 19th Annual Employment Law Institute, Philadelphia PA
- Presented “Fundamentals of Employment Law” on March 22, 2013. Dilworth Paxson LLP, Cherry Hill, NJ
- Presented “2013 Workplace Labor and Employment Issues: A Legal Update” on March 21, 2013. Dilworth Paxson LLP, Philadelphia, PA
- Presented “HOW TO: Bulletproof your Employee Handbook to Protect Your Company on February 14, 2013. HR.com (Webinar)
- Presented, “MidAtlantic Employers' Association Roundtable” on February 26, 2013. King of Prussia, PA
- Presented at the American Conference Institute - 18th Annual Conference on Employment Practices Liability Insurance on January 30, 2013. New York, NY
- Presented “Employee Handbooks — Must-Have Policies to Protect Your Organization” on January 10, 2013: Thompson.com (Webinar)
- Presented at the Seton Hall University School of Law Circuit Review Symposium on February 5, 2013. South Orange, NJ
- Presented at the "Social Media SHOW (and Tell)" Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM), November 13, 2012
- Presented "What's New in Pennsylvania Employment Law?", 2012 Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM) Lehigh Valley Annual Conference, October 15, 2012
- Presented "Social Media for HR: Practical Guidance from a Generation Y Attorney" on March 5, 2012, at the Society for Human Resource Management 2012 Employment Law and Legislative Conference
- Presented on Risk Management In The Age of Social Networking on October 16, 2009, for Christie’s Great Estates
- Presented on Best Practices of Employers Preparing for Pandemics and Natural Disasters on August 12, 2009, for The Safe America Foundation
- Presented on the ADA Amendments Act on May 21, 2009, for the Human Capital Institute
- Presented on Independent Contractor Versus Employee on January 31, 2009, for Freelance Camp in San Antonio, TX
- Presented on Records Management: Current Issues in Retention Disposition and E-Discovery on December 15, 2008, for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- J.D., The George Washington University Law School, 2001
- B.A., cum laude, Economics, University of Pennsylvania, 1998
- Pennsylvania, 2001
- District of Columbia, 2003
- New Jersey, 2001
- United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit, 2001
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 2001
- United States District Court District of Columbia, 2003
- United States District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 2007