Eric B. Meyer
Partner, Chair, #SocialMedia Practice Group; Co-Chair, Pro Bono Committee
Eric B. Meyer is a Partner at the Firm, Chair of the #SocialMedia Practice Group, Member of the Labor & Employment Practice Group, and Co-Chair of the Pro Bono Committee. He focuses his practice on employment discrimination and retaliation, workplace harassment, employee pay practices, leaves of absence, disabilities and reasonable accommodations, non-competition and trade secret disputes, employment contracts, reductions in force, severance arrangements and other contractual matters, and union/management relations and collective bargaining. Eric also serves as a volunteer mediator for the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and as an arbitrator in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
He publishes The Employer Handbook (www.TheEmployerHandbook.com), which was voted the ABA Journal’s top Labor & Employment Law Blog of 2013. A frequent lecturer around the country, and an influential legal voice on Twitter, Meyer has been quoted in ABCNews.com, NBCSports.com, AMEX's Small Business Open Forum, Inc. Magazine, Business Insurance, Entrepreneur, Mashable.com, and The Wall Street Journal among other outlets.
- Obtained the first defense verdict in over a decade (in an employment case, or otherwise) from a federal civil jury sitting in Easton, PA.
- Co-authored the brief filed in the United States Court of Appeals for The Fourth Circuit in which the appellate court affirmed the District Court’s entry of summary judgment in favor of a large trucking company on claims of reverse gender discrimination, religious discrimination, and retaliation.
- Secured an injunction on behalf of a manufacturer against a former employee who sought to violate his employment agreement by competing with the manufacturer.
- Got voluntary dismissal of all discrimination/retaliation claims against a large Philadelphia hospital.
- Received for a client in a commercial-lease dispute, one of the top 50 judgments in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 2006.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Philadelphia Bar Association
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Council
- Member, New Jersey Bar Association
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, Wolter's Kluwer Employment Law Daily Advisory Board
Speeches & Presentations
- December 2, 2014: "What's Hot at the EEOC," Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry (Philadelphia, PA)
- December 3, 2014: "Employment Law: Essentials and Best Practices," ALI CLE (Webinar)
- November 13, 2014: Association of Legal Administrators (Philadelphia, PA)
- November 12, 2014: Social Media @ Work (Philadelphia, PA)
- October 27 & 28, 2014: SHRM Lehigh Valley - October Conference (Bethlehem, PA)
- September 17, 2014: Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce (Philadelphia, PA)
- August 28, 2014: PBI: "Social Media: Do Employers "Like " What Their Employees Are Doing Online?" (Philadelphia, PA)
- August 19, 2014: TLNT.com (Webinar)
- August 12, 2014: EEOC EXCEL Conference 2014 (San Diego, CO)
- August 5, 2014: Bloomberg BNA (Webinar)
- July 15, 2014: Mid-Atlantic Employer's Association (King of Prussia, PA)
- June 24 & 25, 2014: SHRM 2014 Annual Conference and Expo (Orlando, FL)
- May 28, 2014: Welcome to Your New Job: Ethical Issues in Employee Exits (Philadelphia, PA)
- April 16, 2014: Association of American Colleges and Universities Employer-Educator Forum (Philadelphia, PA)
- February 20, 2014: The Legal Intelligencer Labor & Employment Roundtable (Philadelphia, PA)
- J.D., The George Washington University Law School, 2001
- B.A., cum laude, Economics, University of Pennsylvania, 1998
- Pennsylvania, 2001
- District of Columbia, 2003
- New Jersey, 2001
- United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit, 2001
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 2001
- United States District Court District of Columbia, 2003
- United States District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 2007