David M. Laigaie
Partner, Chair, Corporate Investigations/White Collar Group
David Laigaie focuses his practice on internal corporate investigations, health care litigation, and complex civil litigation. He handles cases involving health care fraud, securities fraud, tax fraud, export violations, pharmaceutical marketing fraud, municipal corruption, defense procurement fraud, and public finance fraud.
Dave regularly represents a wide variety of health care providers and suppliers including physician practices, hospitals, skilled nursing facilities , mental health providers, home health care agencies, hospices, durable medical equipment manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies in responding to government investigations and in defending alleged violations of the False Claims Act. In addition, Dave represents individuals and corporations in responding to investigations involving a wide variety of allegations. Dave defends physicians and other licensed professionals in actions brought by licensing officials. Dave also helps corporate executives and directors charged with securities fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, mail fraud, wire fraud and tax fraud. Dave also handles a broad assortment of civil litigation matters, including breaches on non-compete agreements, civil fraud cases, breaches of contract and other civil disputes.
Dave is a Board Member of Public Citizens for Children and Youth, an organization that advocates for issues -- including education, healthcare, safety and economic justice -- important to our children and growth. He is a former Board Member of the Philadelphia Diversity Law Group. He is a member of the Pennsylvania and Philadelphia Bar Associations, and is a regular lecturer on issues including Federal False Claims Act. He lives with his wife and two children outside of Philadelphia.
- Represented local elected official in successfully defending against a quo warranto action seeking to oust the official from office based on alleged violations of the Pennsylvania Sunshine Act.
- Represented Eastern Block émigré in collecting millions owed by a multi-national businessman who conducted business in Switzerland, France, Ukraine, the Middle East and various Caribbean countries.
- Conducted a corporate investigation for high technology manufacturer to determine whether the company, and or its employees or agents, violated the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Represented clients in anti-trust investigations concerning the manufacturer of potato chips and the sale of municipal tax liens.
- Represented senior executives from several pharmaceutical and medical device companies whose marketing practices were under investigation.
- Represented the principal of a corporation under investigation for insider trading.
- Represented elected officials and candidates for elective office accused of violating the City of Philadelphia Campaign Finance Laws.
- Represented a 350-doctor faculty practice plan in conducting an internal investigation into allegations of wrongdoing and assessing potential voluntary self-disclosure obligations.
- Represented a former director of a now-bankrupt specialty finance company whose rapid descent into bankruptcy spawned a United State Attorney’s Office investigation, an SEC investigation, a shareholder derivative suit, a suit by bondholders, a suit by a consortium of lenders and a suit by the committee of unsecured creditors.
- Represented a national emergency department staffing company (that is subsidiary of a multi-national health care and transportation company) in defending a Federal False Claims Act suit that was filed in Chicago and a commercial dispute filed in New Jersey.
- Represented a stockbroker accused of participating in a “pump and dump” scheme to market worthless securities.
Professional & Community Activities
- Board Member, Public Citizens for Children and Youth
- Editorial Board, BNA Health Care Fraud Report
Speeches & Presentations
- Presented “The False Claims Act - The Basics” at PBI’s Understanding the Basics of Fraud and Abuse in the Health Care Industry – July 26, 2012 View Presentation
- Presented "Super Workshops" at the annual PBI Health Law Institute - March 13-14, 2012
- Presented "Health Care Oversight & Enforcement" for the Panel Discussion on the Impact of the Affordable Care Act with Senator Spector (April 14, 2011)
- Panel Moderator PBI - A Day on Health Law - The False Claim Act Update (October 19, 2010)
- PBI - Healthcare Report Under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010: Fraud & Abuse and Transparency Related Amendments - David Laigaie(May 26, 2010)
- Appealing Medicare Overpayments (RAC Audits) - D. Laigaie/ M. Wachlin
- Presented "Fraud and Abuse, Enforcement and Transparency" for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute Health Reform Legislation on May 26, 2010.
- Presented "Appealing Medicare Overpayments (RAC Audits)" for the 16th Annual Health Law Institute of the Pennsylvania Bar Institute on March 12, 2010
- Panel Moderator on “A Day on Health Care Law, False Claims Act Half-Year In Review” for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute in October 2009
- Panel Moderator on “False Claim Act Amendments: Implications for the Health Care Community, Bureau of National Affairs” in Washington, D.C. on July 15, 2009
- Presented on “19th Annual National Institute on Health Care Fraud” for the American Bar Association in Phoenix, Arizona on May 13, 2009
- Presented “False Claims Act Review” for the 15th Annual Health Law Institute of the Pennsylvania Bar Institute on March 2009
- Presented “False Claims Act Roundup” for the Health Care Law Committee of the Philadelphia Bar Association on January 22, 2009
- Panel Moderator on “False Claims Act Update” for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute on October 28, 2008
- Presented “False Claims Act Review” for the 14th Annual Health Law Institute of the Pennsylvania Bar Institute in April 2008
- Presented “False Claims Act Update" for the 13th Annual Health Law Institute, Pennsylvania Bar Institute March 13-14, 2007 View Presentation
- Presented “False Claims Act Half Year in Review, A Day on Health Care law” for Pennsylvania Bar Institute on October 11 2006 View Presentation
- Presented “False Claims Act Year in Review” for the 12th Annual Health Law Institute, Pennsylvania Bar Institute March 15, 2006 View Presentation
- M.G.A., University of Pennsylvania, Fels Center of Government, 1995
- J.D., magna cum laude, Temple University School of Law, 1991
- B.A., Emory University, 1985
- Pennsylvania, 1991
- New Jersey, 1991