Christopher H. Casey
Partner, Co-Managing Partner, Harrisburg Office; Chair, Corporate Investigations/White Collar Group
Christopher Casey represents manufacturers, insurance companies, governmental entities and individuals in civil and criminal litigation. He litigates matters involving antitrust, securities, contracts, fraud, and political corruption. He regularly defends his clients against federal and state criminal investigations and grand jury subpoenas, and requests for access to records under Pennsylvania's Right to Know Law.
Chris has tried both jury and non-jury cases to verdict in state and federal court, and has briefed and argued appeals in the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, Pennsylvania Superior Court and Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court.
Before joining Dilworth, Chris served as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Middle District of Pennsylvania for seven years. Prior to his work as a federal prosecutor he spent five and a half years as an antitrust litigator at the Federal Trade Commission in Washington, where he focused on corporate mergers in the energy, health care, and telecommunications industries.
- Represents various individuals and corporation in federal criminal investigation of Philadelphia charter schools.
- Represents Pennsylvania House Democratic and Senate Caucuses on variety of governmental compliance issues.
- Represents individuals in federal health care fraud investigation in District of New Jersey.
- Represents corporate executive in federal price-fixing litigation in polyurethane foam industry.
- Won $2.5 million verdict for roofing manufacturer in breach of contract trial in Pennsylvania federal court.
- Won defense verdict after trial for satellite television installation company in contract litigation in Pennsylvania state court.
- Won defense verdict after trial for real estate developer in action for specific performance in Pennsylvania state court.
- Represents individual in defending federal criminal tax investigation in New Jersey.
- Represents indirect purchaser plaintiffs in federal multi-district antitrust class action in chocolate industry.
- Represents several health insurers in defending requests for information under Pennsylvania Right to Know Law.
- Represents mushroom grower in antitrust class action in Pennsylvania federal court.
- Represented manufacturer of military cameras in defending enforcement action by Pennsylvania Securities Commission.
- Represents manufacturer of waste water treatment equipment in defending bid-rigging investigation by Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General.
- Represented largest physician group in northeastern Pennsylvania in obtaining approval for merger from U.S. Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, American Bar Association (Antitrust Section - Criminal Practice and Procedure Committee; Criminal Justice Section - White Collar Committee)
- Member, Philadelphia Bar Association (Criminal Justice Section)
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, Middle District of PA, 1999 - 2006
- Antitrust Litigator, Federal Trade Commission, 1990 - 1995
- Assistant Public Defender, Lackawanna County, PA, 1996 - 1999
- Federal Law Clerk, Middle District of PA, 1988 - 1989
- Member of Advisory Board, Kimmel Cancer Center at Jefferson University
- Member, Irish-American Business Chamber and Network
- Member, Brehon Law Society
Speeches & Presentations
- Presenter, "For the Experienced," Criminal Law CLE, "Advanced Jury Trial Advocacy Skills: Overcoming the Prosecution Forensic Expert," Gettysburg, PA, 2010
- Presenter, "Hospitals and Physicians on the Firing Line: Recent Enforcement of the False Claims Act", Mercy Hospital, Scranton, PA, 2007
- Presenter, "Merger Review Process at the FTC: Nuts and Bolts", Philadelphia Bar Association, Mergers and Acquisitions Committee, 2007
- Selected by Super Lawyers magazine as Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, 2013.
- Commendation for Outstanding Service, United States Attorney’s Office, Middle District of Pennsylvania, 2006.
- Certificate of Appreciation for outstanding support of Philadelphia Field Office, Criminal Investigation Division of IRS, 2006.
- Award for Meritorious Service, Federal Trade Commission, merger reviews, 1995.
- Award for Meritorious Service, Federal Trade Commission, antitrust enforcement, 1994.
- J.D., The George Washington University Law School, 1987
- B.A., Mathematics, College of the Holy Cross, 1983
- Pennsylvania, 1987
- New Jersey, 1988
- District of Columbia, 1989
- United States Court of Appeals Third Circuit, 2010
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit, 2010
- United States District Court Western District of Pennsylvania, 2013
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 2008
- United States District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1988
- United States District Court District of New Jersey, 1988