C. Lawrence Holmes
Since joining Dilworth Paxson in 1993, C. Lawrence Holmes has established a track record of landmark legal successes and longstanding client partnerships. Larry concentrates on representing financial institutions such as insurance companies, finance lease companies, and lenders. A passionate advocate for his clients, Larry is skilled at humanizing large institutions and effectively communicating with juries and judges.
Larry’s work includes pivotal cases that have impacted Pennsylvania law. He obtained a jury verdict for the defense on behalf of Lloyd’s of London after a two-week trial in the Commerce Court Division of the Court of Common Pleas of Philadelphia for breach of contract. On appeal, he successfully argued before both the Superior and Supreme Courts of Pennsylvania and helped establish a new law in Pennsylvania on behalf of the insurance industry.
Larry also secured a milestone victory for a finance lease company, when a federal judge denied a motion to certify a class action against it as part of a claim exceeding $37 million. In addition to defending the motion for class certification, he obtained summary judgment against the lessees on all claims and counterclaims and obtained an order that the lessees were liable, jointly and severally, for all of the leasing company’s legal fees. The decision serves as a powerful tool for financial institutions in cases and class actions arising out of program failures.
With a growing reputation as an engaging legal thought leader, Larry has spoken numerous times at the Equipment Leasing and Finance Association’s (ELFA) annual Legal Forum, most recently as a keynote speaker at the 2014 Forum, after which Larry was appointed to the ELFA Legal Committee for 2015-2017. For a number of years he has presented Pennsylvania Bar Institute CLE programs on insurer bad faith, and other topics. Prior to joining Dilworth, Larry served as a Law Clerk to the Honorable Chief Justice Robert N. C. Nix, Jr. of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court—writing opinions, providing counsel, and learning the skills of passionate persuasion and respectful dissent that would inform his career.
As an elected Township Commissioner, Larry exemplifies Dilworth’s commitment to public and community service. He is serving his third term as a Commissioner of Haverford Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania, where he has resided with his family for over a decade.
- In a landmark case, successfully represented a leasing company in opposition to class certification in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania—obtaining summary judgment against lessees on all claims and counterclaims, which held the lessees responsible, jointly and severally, for all legal fees
- Changed Pennsylvania law for insurers in the landmark case Ace American Insurance Company v. Certain Underwriters at Lloyd’s and Companies, et al., representing Lloyd’s from jury verdict through the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Obtained a jury verdict for the defense for a finance leasing company in the United States District Court for the District of Maryland after a two-week trial for fraud
- For over two decades, has represented insurers in the asbestos federal class action Georgine v. Amchem Products, et al., and collateral litigation
- For a decade, practiced in the area of tax-exempt bond transactions, representing numerous private and public entities as bond counsel for industrial development and general obligation tax-exempt bonds
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Legal Committee, Equipment Leasing and Finance Association
- Elected and twice re-elected as 6th Ward Commissioner of Haverford Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Chief Justice Robert N. C. Nix, Jr., Pennsylvania Supreme Court, 1991-1993
Speeches & Presentations
- “Friendly Fire and Family Feuds: Internecine Conflicts between and among Leasing Companies, Vendors and/or Manufacturers,” Equipment Leasing and Financing Association Annual Legal Forum, Nashville, TN, May 2015
- “An Insurer’s Counsel’s Perspective on Discovery Strategies,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, December 9, 2014
- “Legal Developments and Current Trends 2014: Circle the Wagons Around the Latest in the Law!” Keynote speaker presentation at the Equipment Leasing and Financing Association Annual Legal Forum, Fort Worth, TX, May 2014
- “Welcome to Your New Job: Ethical Issues in Employment Exits,” co-presented with Eric B. Meyer, Insurance Society of Philadelphia, May 2014
- “Offense for Defense: Addressing Programmatic Failures,” co-presented with Patrick M. Northen, Equipment Leasing and Financing Association Annual Legal Forum, Charleston, SC, May 2013
- “Bad Faith Claims Litigation: The Impact of Claims Handler v. Attorney Determination on the Applicability of Attorney Client and Work Product Privilege,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute CLE Presentation, Philadelphia, PA, December 2012
- “Bad Faith Claims Litigation: Discovery Issues, Post-Litigation Conduct and Abuse of Process,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute CLE Presentation, Philadelphia, PA, May 2011
- “Millions in Defense, Not One Penny in Tribute – Defending a Commercial Fraud Case,” co-presented with Patrick M. Northen, Equipment Leasing and Financing Association Annual Legal Forum, Scottsdale, AZ, May 2011
- “Defending Commercial Fraud,” co-presented with Patrick M. Northen, Legal Intelligencer CLE presentation, November 2010
- J.D., Villanova University School of Law, 1991
- B.A., Georgetown University, 1986
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania, 1992
- New Jersey, 1993